1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poo Identification

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hayley3, Dec 8, 2015.

1. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    [​IMG]

I'm trying to identify what animal poo'd in my enclosed pasture. It's got a lot of fur in it that's why it's gray. I wonder if the downy feathers from my chickens would show up like that in their poo? My chickens had dark gray underneath.

It's 3 1/4 inches long by 1 inch wide. It could've been stepped on by my goats to make the width larger.
    It's either fox or coyote, I'm thinking. Or possum. I'm sure the possum ate a lot of the remains.

So far I haven't got anything on cam and it's driving me crazy. I know we have a lot of animals however not one pic of anything.

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Any bones? If so almost surely a fox or other K9. I would expect a possum to clean up its own mess.

Sorry, i just call um like i see em.

3. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    No , no bones that I could see. I know already that I have possums, I've had them for 25 years and there's no way a possum could kill 6 hens, jumping back and forth across 7 ft tall fences to get them and then to also kill a guinea that I could not catch..... I found a poo id chart and according to it , it's coyote or fox so good guess there. Thanks!

Not sure how accurate it is, but this is the one I found:
    https://uconnladybug.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/scatlayout_bottom-worthadam.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  4. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    Jumped over 7ft tall fences!! Are you sure he did not dig under them instead?

5. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    A fox can easily scale a 7 foot fence and so can a raccoon. Either could do the damage you experienced. Nice chart you found.

Either way you may think about putting a string of hot wire along the upper part of the run. Keep your camera up for a little while. Sometimes the predators come back right away and sometimes they come back several days / weeks later. They usually do come back.

6. hayley3

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    My chickens were free ranging..two of my chickens flew out of the pasture because they were caught outside. Found two feather piles there. The others were killed inside the fence.

So obviously they don't free range anymore. I found that chart right after I posted. :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by