Poo Identification

hayley3

Free Ranging
16 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky

I'm trying to identify what animal poo'd in my enclosed pasture. It's got a lot of fur in it that's why it's gray. I wonder if the downy feathers from my chickens would show up like that in their poo? My chickens had dark gray underneath.

It's 3 1/4 inches long by 1 inch wide. It could've been stepped on by my goats to make the width larger.
It's either fox or coyote, I'm thinking. Or possum. I'm sure the possum ate a lot of the remains.

So far I haven't got anything on cam and it's driving me crazy. I know we have a lot of animals however not one pic of anything.

I'm trying to identify what animal poo'd in my enclosed pasture. It's got a lot of fur in it that's why it's gray. I wonder if the downy feathers from my chickens would show up like that in their poo? My chickens had dark gray underneath.

It's 3 1/4 inches long by 1 inch wide. It could've been stepped on by my goats to make the width larger.
It's either fox or coyote, I'm thinking. Or possum. I'm sure the possum ate a lot of the remains.

So far I haven't got anything on cam and it's driving me crazy. I know we have a lot of animals however not one pic of anything.

Any bones? If so almost surely a fox or other K9. I would expect a possum to clean up its own mess.

Sorry, i just call um like i see em.

No , no bones that I could see. I know already that I have possums, I've had them for 25 years and there's no way a possum could kill 6 hens, jumping back and forth across 7 ft tall fences to get them and then to also kill a guinea that I could not catch..... I found a poo id chart and according to it , it's coyote or fox so good guess there. Thanks!

Not sure how accurate it is, but this is the one I found:
https://uconnladybug.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/scatlayout_bottom-worthadam.jpg

Last edited:
A fox can easily scale a 7 foot fence and so can a raccoon. Either could do the damage you experienced. Nice chart you found.

Either way you may think about putting a string of hot wire along the upper part of the run. Keep your camera up for a little while. Sometimes the predators come back right away and sometimes they come back several days / weeks later. They usually do come back.

My chickens were free ranging..two of my chickens flew out of the pasture because they were caught outside. Found two feather piles there. The others were killed inside the fence.

So obviously they don't free range anymore. I found that chart right after I posted. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom