1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Poo Puzzle.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Henwen, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Henwen

Henwen In the Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    ]Hi, Can anyone tell me why my Silkie pullet/young cockerel is doing poos like this. Thankyou.

Okay, I did upload a pic but cannot find how to attach it to my post. Help! Poo.s are like tiny wee rabbit/sheep pellets.

2. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    after you upload the pic copy the thumb image and paste it in your post

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have sent you a pm with my email addy. If you can email the photo to me, I will post it for you.

Small hard poo - sound like not enough water in the diet. I have found that in the cold, birds often do not drink as much as they should. To help combat this, for my flock I soak their food (pellets or crumbles) in warm water before feeding - making a soup. All of my birds LOVE it.

5. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Songster

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    Quote:GAH [​IMG] I so shouldn't have clicked, you even warned us. Next time i'll put my snack down before clicking poo pics again.

EDIT typo

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  6. HorseFeatherz NV

Ok, here is a picture of the poo in question - it is a small picture

[​IMG]

7. HorseFeatherz NV

Have they been eating any dried peas or beans?

(do you have a goat and this is really goat poo? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] )

What about cherries? Could they be cherry pits?

Oh, gross warning for those with weak stomachs.

Have you poked at it - are the "pellets" hard or soft?

8. Henwen

Henwen In the Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Thankyou HorseFeatherz for adding my pic. They do drink plenty, I refill their water container 2times daily. They are inside, all have normal droppings except the above who I strongly suspect is the roo. They are all healthy bright and active. Droppings are passed with a little puddle of pee underneath, they are firm and moist and look about the size of whole lentils. They do get a small ration of greens daily otherwise normal chicken feed. I have never seen droppings like this from any hen before and while I am sure of the health, would love to know why it is happening.No dried peas or beans and no goat either.;)They also have a mash once a week or so.

9. Tartannik

Tartannik Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    I would be really interested to find out what exactly is wrong with this chicken;), that isn't nice poo lol!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by