Pool---- Yes or No

We have a 24 foot above ground *about 16,000 gallons* (would never have an inground one) and this is our 2nd one we've had. We put this one up ourselves (yep, just like the pro's do.. but didnt cost us anything to do it) had friends help (complete with transit and backhoe to dig) - and we love ours. Would we put up another one? NOPE! LOL but do we love it? Yes...

Its not as expensive as you'd think - we purchase all of our chemicals through www.intheswim.com and they are the CHEAPEST place anywhere (here in state or online) for pool chemicals and supplies (and are always free for shipping - yes..I said FREE SHIPPING - although they do charge a $10.00 handling fee). You can find promotional codes and tons of coupons sent to you via email to waive the handling fee all the time - I get at least 5 a day in email. Last year we bought their summer kit (25 lbs of chlorine tablets, 6 lbs of shock, 12 lbs of chlorine free shock, 1 bottle of Super Alegecide, 1 bottle of Stain Away, and 1 free test kit - $164.00 shipped) and only used half of the tablets and chlorine free shock all season. We just ordered again this year (earlier) and again, to the door with promo codes, and free shipping was $181.00, but this time I added to the mix Super Floc Clarifier ($17.00) - every place else (in store) wanted at least $24.00 for Super Floc Clarifier - online too was more, plus shipping.

You do not need to purchase the PH Balancer and Alkalinity stuff - just use baking soda and vinegar to raise and lower your PH and alkalinity
wink.png
. MUCH CHEAPER! Its all that is in the bottles you purcahse, with a little bit of food coloring for liquids.

Total cost for us to maintain our pool each year is right around $200.00. Our filter runs for 24 hrs, then it gets shut off for 24 hrs. If it rains, we run it a bit longer. Never had algae or any other issues. Vacuuming isnt an issue either - it takes me less than 30 minutes to vaccuum our entire pool and the water is always sparkling clear.

Last edited:
Determine how much it will be used. If you have kids I think its a great thing. We had one for about 8 years. While kids were young and swimming it was awesome. When they grew out of it it became a pain in the butt and time consuming for something we hardly used. Yes, it is relatively expensive to keep up.

You will LOVE the salt water. You dump your weekly salt in and can swim right away. My daughter has sensitivities to chlorine systems but with our mineral springs there are no red eyes or skin redness or sneezing.

I think putting in a pool "for the kids" is a mistake. when I put my pool in, I did it because I knew I wanted it for myself. I use it more than my daughter ever did. I love being able to swim at night, do deep water exercises, and entertain dates/friends in the pool. The chemicals and electric cost money; but I do less daytrips. No need to go to the lake, etc. when I have all I need in my back yard.

We love the pool. We always open ourselves and then pay a service to close it. If you put an ionizer on it will cut chemical use. What was a real PITA was the 'SPA', because of the higher temp it ate chemicals even with an ionizer. And if it got out of balance watch out!!

When we move to our farm, we will put in an in-ground pool complete with pool house with a kitchen, bath and laundry room.

We don't vacation---(Maybe--three days at the beach every yr or so--but that's it). All our kids and grand kids are 'waterbugs' and love being in our above ground.. We spend much time outside, cooking out and playing games..

I have known three people who put in pools and their only complaints were other people coming to swim all the time, not taking care of the area/pool...

One lady put it in for her 'family'===they ending up bringing friends, other kids! the kids (including teens with their boy/girl friends) would end up in the house--while moms sunbathed.. They left her phones and radios out to be ruined in the rains..They filled the ashtrays and would leave them and the drink bottles/cans , candy/food paper to blow around the pool yard and into the pool... Her towels disappeared, chairs broken, pool liner cut....
People would call and ask if they could have their kids b'day party/showers/receptions at her pool! After four yrs.,, she sold her house to her son and moved out! She just hated the whole thing!

SO, are you ready to say NO???

Do you have lots of trees around?
My stepmoms house had a inground pool and she loved it..
Except for the trees always dropping.
We swam in it a lot and laid out a lot

Last edited:
scarter-I PM'd you, but if you don't mind talking here that's good too. I would love to know more about the saltwater system. Where did you learn about it? I hate using chlorine on our pool. It is so bad for my kids. Their skin is too sensitive for it. If I had know how it would affect them, we never would have gotten a pool.
That said, we like ours. It's an above ground and we put it in an area where it can't be seen, but we wish we had set it further back on the property. Just be careful that you choose a good site for it. We had no codes or permits to adhere to, but you should check into it. Don't have trees around or you will have many messes to clean up.

Last edited:
I would check on the cost of the homeowners insurance, and my father always said an inground pool is permanent so it increases your property taxes. Above ground pool doesn't. I would check into that also. Those could be some cost you didn't exspect.

Back
Top Bottom