Pooly chicken - please help

chozie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
Hi all

I have a 10 month old (approx) Brahma cross who has a suspected gut infection (she has been seen by a chicken vet) and is on antibiotics but the vet said to expect the worst. She seems to be getting slightly better but needs to put some weight back on - she's lost a lot. I need some ideas of fattening foods to get her started please - help me save my Mayvis I don't want to loose her.
hit.gif

She can be seen to the left - my avatar pic

Last edited:
Be careful supplementing foods till she's better. After the antibiotics are done she'll need to replenish the bacteria in her digestive tract. Plain yogurt works well for this.
You want to boost the protein not fat. She's probably not laying so I'd switch to an unmedicated chick starter/grower at least 18% protein but 20 to 24 would be good too.
Chicken feed is formulated with the vitamins, minerals, protein and fats necessary for healthy chickens so anything else you feed will alter that ratio.
Stay away from scratch grains for a while since they're only about 10% protein.
Meat and fish scraps or canned tuna are good protein supplements as is the yogurt.

My poorly girl died on Saturday 8th Dec while I was on holiday and my lovely neighbour who was looking after my animals sat an sang to her as she took her last breath. I feel so sad that I couldn't have done more - she was so young but even the vets were baffled as to what was wrong.
hit.gif

My poorly girl died on Saturday 8th Dec while I was on holiday and my lovely neighbour who was looking after my animals sat an sang to her as she took her last breath. I feel so sad that I couldn't have done more - she was so young but even the vets were baffled as to what was wrong.
hit.gif
hugs.gif
Im so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom