Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

DH finished the project with a built in broody box that can be split in 2 or can be 1 big brooder.

I'm in the process of building my coop and my husband and I were trying to figure out poop board/roost placement last night. I am limited on my West wall (nest boxes would be below) with how deep it can go - max would be about 18-20" deep and 6' long - roost would be centered so that leaves 9" or so on either side of the roost for their tooshies to hang over the poop board lol. However, with the location here - walking into the coop it would literally be like RIGHT there in my face all to my left walking in the door. If I put it on my North wall I can do it deeper - so 20-22" deep but only 5' long. Also this spot would put the ramp either right in the way of where we walk in, or it would block the entrance to the nesting boxes. Ugh!

Outside view of West wall. So option 1 would put it above nesting boxes. They'd have a nice long window to look out.

One more view from front... (west wall on left, north wall in back)

sketchup drawings...

sketchup rough drawing for what it would look like on north wall (nest boxes are space on the left below window):

With all that said - what is the narrowest you'd recommend going for the poop board depth?? I will have BIG girls... English Orps, Salmon Faverolle, and a creme legbar and olive egger
Well, with the way your coop is shaped, etc., I would definitely keep it as it is shown in the sketch. Putting up and over your nesting boxes will be a pain in the patootie when you go to clean out the roost tray. If it were me? I'd ditch that window that is over the roosting area in the sketch as you don't want direct drafts on them at night. This will leave you room to install sick/broody pen(s) underneath it which would be fab! JMHO wishing you all the best...it's going to be a doozie of a coop!!
wee.gif

That's EXACTLY what I want to do! Terrific job. Any chance of a diagram or two??? (hint-hint!) :bow

Thanks. DH built it yesterday using materials we had in the barn. He just creatively threw it together. The center partition board slides out when we don't need it separated. I can take some better detailed pictures of it if you want.

It has been put to good use already. Mama hen with 10 day old chicks in one side, and broody hen on 10 eggs due to hatch on Thursday in the other side.

Last edited:
Thanks. DH built it yesterday using materials we had in the barn. He just creatively threw it together. The center partition board slides out when we don't need it separated. I can take some better detailed pictures of it if you want.

It has been put to good use already. Mama hen with 10 day old chicks in one side, and broody hen on 10 eggs due to hatch on Thursday in the other side.

Yes, PLEASE!! More pics!
bow.gif
It's a great setup...you're sooo lucky to have broodies being good mama's!!
D.gif

Well, with the way your coop is shaped, etc., I would definitely keep it as it is shown in the sketch. Putting up and over your nesting boxes will be a pain in the patootie when you go to clean out the roost tray. If it were me? I'd ditch that window that is over the roosting area in the sketch as you don't want direct drafts on them at night. This will leave you room to install sick/broody pen(s) underneath it which would be fab! JMHO wishing you all the best...it's going to be a doozie of a coop!! :weee

Thank you for your thoughts! I plan to have a roof ridge vent and also vents along both the west and east side under the overhang. I was thinking in the winter I could add plastic to the outside of the windows to make it more draft free at that height. I hate to lose that window all together. Especially when it will give them a view and a breeze in the summer. Hmmmm. So if I make the poop board 5ft long by 20" deep is that big enough? I plan to have a 2x4 wide side up for the roost.

Thank you for your thoughts! I plan to have a roof ridge vent and also vents along both the west and east side under the overhang. I was thinking in the winter I could add plastic to the outside of the windows to make it more draft free at that height. I hate to lose that window all together. Especially when it will give them a view and a breeze in the summer. Hmmmm. So if I make the poop board 5ft long by 20" deep is that big enough? I plan to have a 2x4 wide side up for the roost.
Covering that window tight in winter could do the trick.

20" deep could work, but I'd put the roost a foot from the wall.The more shallow your board the lower you want the roost.
Mine is 24" wide and the roost is 8" off the board and there is rarely any poops on the edge I think only because some of them actually roost on the board or the edge of the board itself.

Covering that window tight in winter could do the trick.

20" deep could work, but I'd put the roost a foot from the wall.The more shallow your board the lower you want the roost.
Mine is 24" wide and the roost is 8" off the board and there is rarely any poops on the edge I think only because some of them actually roost on the board or the edge of the board itself.

Oh that's really promising!! Maybe I could try 22" but I think 24" is really pushing it unfortunately. So you think that I should have my roost like closer to 6" off the poop board? And that wouldn't be too close?

Oh that's really promising!! Maybe I could try 22" but I think 24" is really pushing it unfortunately. So you think that I should have my roost like closer to 6" off the poop board? And that wouldn't be too close?

We made ours 22" with the roost 8" off the board. It seems to be working very well so far. No poops where they don't belong and the roost is high enough to clean the PDZ easily.

Closer to the board is better for poop trajectory in relation to board depth...but.... you have to be able to get under the roost to clean, or make the roost removable.

I use a short handled (16") hoe to pull the board contents to the front so I can scoop it up with my sifter basket.

Just a thought, put everything together with screws so you can take it apart and modify it if needed.

Back
Top Bottom