Poop Board/Roost Question

Sefirothe

On A Clucking Adventure
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2023
Scranton, PA
I'm putting together the plan for my poop board/roost build. I plan on having a 2 ft wide and 6 foot long poop board with a 2 inch high lip on it to hold in PDZ. I have 6 hens currently.

My question is how high to build the roost over the board. I'd like to do 8 inches, but will that cause problems with birds already on the roost with ones walking along the board looking for a spot? My flock is pretty mellow, but the white crested polish is a bit of a jerk who likes to take cheap shots.

I have poop boards at about that height below the perches. The chickens find it convenient to walk on as they either jump up to search for a perch or dismount. It causes no significant aggression from the already roosting chickens.

I'm putting together the plan for my poop board/roost build. I plan on having a 2 ft wide and 6 foot long poop board with a 2 inch high lip on it to hold in PDZ. I have 6 hens currently.

My question is how high to build the roost over the board. I'd like to do 8 inches, but will that cause problems with birds already on the roost with ones walking along the board looking for a spot? My flock is pretty mellow, but the white crested polish is a bit of a jerk who likes to take cheap shots.
Same dimensions as I have. Some take some shots, but figure it out.
Most roost on roosts, some roost on edge of board, some roost on the board itself.
The 8" give me enough space to clean with how and basket sifter.

Here's some posts about it, they're kind of old, but changes are noted.
...and the threads these posts are in has a ton of examples of poop boards.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-111#post-13179595
Updates:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/squared-away-mesh-drawer-organizer/5598035?keyword=mesh-organizer-tray

I made mine a little higher, and I'm glad I did. I also have a lip on the board which my chickens decided was great for roosting (my board is elevated off the floor). It was only a 1x4, so I had to add a 2x4 next to it so they had an adequate roosting bar. I think the bar around 16" above the board. They have lots of room to walk under it and there's plenty of space for the one's roosting on the board lip.

Second question. If the poop board is about 3 foot off the ground (and the roost 8 inches above that) and two foot wide against a wall that’s about 8 ft from the other wall…

Will I likely need a ramp for the chickens to get up and down? I have a mixed bag of breeds, Polish, Sumatra, Wyandotte, OE, and Barnevelder.

Second question. If the poop board is about 3 foot off the ground (and the roost 8 inches above that) and two foot wide against a wall that’s about 8 ft from the other wall…

Will I likely need a ramp for the chickens to get up and down? I have a mixed bag of breeds, Polish, Sumatra, Wyandotte, OE, and Barnevelder.
They probably have enough space to fly down, most of mine do but some like the ramp.
I added ramps to board and nest perch because I started with some big clumsy birds.
See pics on my coop page.

Not if you have a step - think stump although it doesn't have to be an actual stump. I don't know those breeds well enough to know if they would need a stump either.

Back
Top Bottom