Poop board users...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kira782, Jul 15, 2011.

1. kira782

kira782 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Littleton, Colorado
    Do you have problems with the chickens hanging out on the poop boards, kicking poop all around?

2. Tool

Tool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I built my poop board under the roost and installed hardware cloth under the roost, so that the poop falls through and the chickens cant get to it. I added a small but wide door to access it from outside for easy cleaning. it has worked good, but they have only been in there for about a month.

[​IMG]

3. Tool

Tool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Need to add that with the warm weather right now, they are spending a ton of time outside and most of the poop ends up out there.

4. chickens? not yet

chickens? not yet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    Quote:Nicely done!! In the winter looks like you just have to put a board across to close it? I like it!

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That does look pretty cool Tool (hey - I rhymed!). Although a few of my big girls would "test" your wire with thier huge dino sized droppings...lol.
    OP - most folks set their dropping boards about 6-8 inches below the roosts, so there's really no room to waller around in the poo. And many (me included) do a quick scraping daily into a droppings bucket, so they don't get the chance anyway...
    Although my higher roost is WELL over 6-8 inches above the board, my girls don't walk around on it. I could only see birds "hanging out" there if there wasn't enough space in a coop (or chicks/young chickens who are just playing/exploring).

[​IMG]

6. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    [​IMG]

Our board run about 8 inches off the sand, and we do have some that will sleep on the edge of the poop board. They do not walk in it, and luckily their butts are over the sand so it all worked out for me in the end.

7. Dirty Farmer

Dirty Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cover the scraping board with wire so they can't walk on it. That's what I did for my wifes small hen house when I built it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    Quote:Nice tile! I did the same and used surplus tile on the floor in our coop. Makes clean up easy, and spills dry up fast (use pine shavings).
    Some great ideas for a pooboard- this is my next project. Currently working on new watering system using chickens nipples.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by