Poop board

whispurr

Songster
Mar 23, 2022
We're constructing our coop right now. I have a question about the poop board. I saw some posts here saying not to use kitty litter under the perch because of the artificial scent. But what about clumping litter with no scent?

We're constructing our coop right now. I have a question about the poop board. I saw some posts here saying not to use kitty litter under the perch because of the artificial scent. But what about clumping litter with no scent?
I personally wouldn't use kitty litter for the dust but I've also heard sand is a great option and does relatively the same thing.

Last year, I was convinced not to use any cat litter with the chickens because of what is in it (even the unscented) but I didn't save the research that convinced me.

Either way, PDZ is less expensive than cat litter and works very well. It is safe for chickens, compost piles, and gardens. It is sold as "Stall Fresh" for horses around here - in most places that carry such things.

Edit to correct the mistaken product name.

Last edited:
Either way, PDZ is less expensive than cat litter and works very well. It is safe for chickens, compost piles, and gardens. It is sold as "Stall FreshER" for horses around here - in most places that carry such things.
"Stall Fresh" is a different product.

Sweet PDZ Stall Refresher bags look like this:
1661519287693.png

I use sweet PDZ on ours as aart said and it works great. Scoop it out every morning and it keeps the coop much cleaner. Also get the horse stall one as it’s the same thing as the one they market for chickens but it’s cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom