poop board

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jimz1, Mar 11, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I didn't start building my coop yet, hopefully in a couple weeks, and I don't quite understand about the poop boards. Where do you put them and how many. The boot trays sound like a great idea for cleaning. Does anyone have pictures inside the coop so I have some idea where to put them?

2. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    the poop board goes under the roosts. The idea being that chickens poop a lot while roosting, so a couple of times a week you can take them out give them a good wash and maybe disinfect and replace.

Hopefully you won't have to clean the coop as often.

3. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    I put my poop boards above the nest boxes to keep em clean. I also got some stick on 18x18 inch vinyl tiles to stick on the boards. Makes an easy swipe clean off everyday. here is a pic........[​IMG][​IMG]

4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I put a piece of linoleum over the tops of the nest boxes and use that as the poop board
    [​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Here are pictures of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In our big coop, the boot trays rest on a board held up by shelf supports. To make sure the trays don't tip if the birds perch on the edge on their way up to the roost, I have screwed a couple of small boards on the back of the coop wall just above the level of the boot tray when it's in place, like a lip.

In the small coop, the boot tray just sits on the floor.

I take the trays out every morning, take them over to my composter and dump/scrape out the contents. Then I give them a quick hose off and return them to the coop all cleaned. The process takes me all of 5 minutes.

6. chellejeff

chellejeff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    So. Cal. Mountains
    Ok, so what's the difference between a poop board and a boot tray. They both look like poop boards.

7. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Quote:SAme thing.

8. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    I cover mine w/bedding and use a cat litter scoop to clean it each day. Poop doesnt stick to the board that way. [​IMG]

9. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:Cat litter, great idea

Xoxox

10. chellejeff

chellejeff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    So. Cal. Mountains
    Quote:SAme thing.

OK, thanks, I thought maybe I was missing something. I sprinkle sand from the floor on my poop board. It works, but I may cause it to evolve some more. Maybe some rails around the edges of the board so I can put deeper sand on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by