poop board

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jimz1, Mar 11, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I didn't start building my coop yet, hopefully in a couple weeks, and I don't quite understand about the poop boards. Where do you put them and how many. The boot trays sound like a great idea for cleaning. Does anyone have pictures inside the coop so I have some idea where to put them?

2. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Songster

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    the poop board goes under the roosts. The idea being that chickens poop a lot while roosting, so a couple of times a week you can take them out give them a good wash and maybe disinfect and replace.

Hopefully you won't have to clean the coop as often.

3. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chirping

Jan 11, 2011
    I put my poop boards above the nest boxes to keep em clean. I also got some stick on 18x18 inch vinyl tiles to stick on the boards. Makes an easy swipe clean off everyday. here is a pic........[​IMG][​IMG]

4. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I put a piece of linoleum over the tops of the nest boxes and use that as the poop board
    [​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Crowing

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Here are pictures of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In our big coop, the boot trays rest on a board held up by shelf supports. To make sure the trays don't tip if the birds perch on the edge on their way up to the roost, I have screwed a couple of small boards on the back of the coop wall just above the level of the boot tray when it's in place, like a lip.

In the small coop, the boot tray just sits on the floor.

I take the trays out every morning, take them over to my composter and dump/scrape out the contents. Then I give them a quick hose off and return them to the coop all cleaned. The process takes me all of 5 minutes.

6. chellejeff

chellejeff Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    So. Cal. Mountains
    Ok, so what's the difference between a poop board and a boot tray. They both look like poop boards.

7. BWKatz

BWKatz Songster

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Quote:SAme thing.

8. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Songster

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    I cover mine w/bedding and use a cat litter scoop to clean it each day. Poop doesnt stick to the board that way. [​IMG]

9. wannabchick

wannabchick Songster

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:Cat litter, great idea

Xoxox

10. chellejeff

chellejeff Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    So. Cal. Mountains
    Quote:SAme thing.

OK, thanks, I thought maybe I was missing something. I sprinkle sand from the floor on my poop board. It works, but I may cause it to evolve some more. Maybe some rails around the edges of the board so I can put deeper sand on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: