Poop build around lower feathers - 24 week Barred Plymouth Rock

Montana-Hens

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Buxton, Montana
I have a happy and what appears to be health flock of 4.

My BPR has a problem that when she poops a little of it seems to catch in her lower Fluff feathers and builds up. It is well under her vent. Her eggs are clean. I eventually have to clean her up.

I read here and thought maybe to many treats but none of the other girls have any like problems.

Food: My ladies are free range, supplement with layer pellets, free choice oyster shell, some left over produce most mornings (lettuce, carrots, parsley, tomatoes). At the time I close the coop the 4 of them split about 1/4 c scratch.

Water: inside and outside the coop

Poop: very normal formed

Laying: about 6 days out of 7.

Activity: active, dustbathing, clucking, I don't see anything wrong

Clear eyes, friendly, acts very healthy.

I am going into winter and don't want to worry about this.

She is as healthy & active as all the other ladies.

I am guess this is just her build, b/c she did not have this problem as a youngster. It started about the time she started to lay.

Any thoughts.....should I be worried, or should I just watch it and mark it up to her geography.

one of my hens is doing that, and now her eggs are coming out dirty no matter what. UGH. I posted a similar question a few days ago but it remains a mystery, lol. If you figure it out, let me know.

My Barred Rocks are especially prone to "poop rocks" in their petticoats. I just cleaned up one today. Not sure why, but it's mainly my Barred Rocks, though others seem to have the same amt of fluff or even more.

You'd have to put vaseline all over their fluff and then you'd have a REALLY disgusting mess, LOL. I just have to do "poopectomies" on most of my Barred Rocks. Lexie doesn't have that problem-after her really long, hard molt this past year, she never grew back lots of her fluff and has a semi-bare tush that may be permanent, LOL.

First of all, Montana-Hens, I'd like to thank you for being so thorough in the information you provided. It really helps.

I have one hen who keeps a messy bottom as well, and in her case it is because she prefers to sit in the shavings at night instead of on a coop perch. You have obviously watched their droppings, and if there is no issue with color/consistency ~ and if all other behaviors/eating habits are normal ~ I would not worry.

speckledhen, I thank you for increasing my chicken vocabulary to include "poop rocks."
wink.png

My Barred Rock has the exact same problem! I think it's just a symptom of their excessively fluffy butts. Anyone have a good way to clean them up? Soak thier butts in warm water or something?

Our Ameracauna hen had this problem all her life until we got a rooster who took it on as his mission to clean her tush
tongue.png
Then she had a beautiful fuzzy butt for the remainder of her life...you just need to get her a good mate
smile.png

It's like your hubby clipping your toenails while you are preg and can't see them! Maybe she's just not flexible enough to clean there?

Back
Top Bottom