Poop build up

misshell

Songster
May 30, 2020
Livermore, California
My sex link has watery poop and it's building up on her tail feathers. Her vent looks clean, but I am not sure whats going on, or what to do about it. Does she have worms? What can I do to help her? How do I clean that area too? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sometimes they will get a little poo in their feathers and it will build from there. How often does she have runny poop? Can you share a picture of it and of her vent area? Could possibly be a yeast infection, roosting on the ground, eating something new etc. Any other birds have diarrhea?

Sometimes they will get a little poo in their feathers and it will build from there. How often does she have runny poop? Can you share a picture of it and of her vent area? Could possibly be a yeast infection, roosting on the ground, eating something new etc. Any other birds have diarrhea?
Thanks for your reply! I tried to take a picture earlier, but its too hard to hold her still and use the other hand to snap a picture. I can try to take one later when I have some help holding her. This is the first time I've seen her with runny poop. It looks as though another hen has a little problem too, but hers is a very small amount stuck to her feathers.

Also, the eggs they've been laying have a small amount of poop on them now when they were very clean before. Not sure if that has anything to do with whats going on.

Thanks for your reply! I tried to take a picture earlier, but its too hard to hold her still and use the other hand to snap a picture. I can try to take one later when I have some help holding her. This is the first time I've seen her with runny poop. It looks as though another hen has a little problem too, but hers is a very small amount stuck to her feathers.
An extra set of hands is a big help when trying to take pictures!
No worms to be seen?
How long has it been going on?
You may want to trim the feathers back so it doesn't keep building up and give her bum a wash and dry. An extra pair of hands when bathing is helpful, as well. If it's not stuck to close to the skin, it may be easier to just trim off what is there. Is she acting okay otherwise?
Also, the eggs they've been laying have a small amount of poop on them now when they were very clean before. Not sure if that has anything to do with whats going on.
I would say that is the problem.

She's acting fine right now. Loves to eat and dust bathe. I havent seen any worms. I guess I will just start by trying to trim off the dirty feathers and see how it goes from there. Ugh, dealing with poop is NOT my favorite chicken activity! lol

She's acting fine right now. Loves to eat and dust bathe. I havent seen any worms. I guess I will just start by trying to trim off the dirty feathers and see how it goes from there. Ugh, dealing with poop is NOT my favorite chicken activity! lol
It's one of my least favorites, as well! I would trim or wash and just watch her. If she continues to have build up, you may want to get a fecal float to check parasite load. If you haven't already, take a flashlight out while they are roosting and check for mites and lice. I would make that a habit to do every once in a while, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom