Poop buildup below vent on hens

HennyPenny44

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2019
Central New Jersey
I’ve had chickens for 2 years and recently realized that they build up a lot of poop below their vent. I didn’t know until I inspected them closely and saw the amount of dried up poop stuck to their butt feathers. Three out of four hens needed a bath so I gave it to them promptly. That was about a month ago.

Now I’m looking at my hens’ butts again and the poop is building up again. Do I need to keep giving them baths? They all have fluffy butts but nothing unusual. The one who is clean underneath is a Black Australorp and I’ve seen her bend her head back to clean her backside. She has a long body and seems to be able to reach. But I thought all chickens do this regardless of build. Do I need to trim butt feathers? I’m scared of cutting through skin.

If you need to you can try doing it solo. Takes a little practice but once you get it done it's really no slower than doing it with 2 people, assuming your birds don't run away from you.

I put each bird on a platform that's around waist high, then I put my left armpit over their wings and back to hold them in place, and use my left hand to grab the tail and lift up (for the older, fatter ones just lifting up on tail is enough, they're too lazy to escape). Right hand has the scissors. I quickly trim any obvious poopy bits and any spots under that where poop tends to land, and then let them go. Takes me about 2 minutes a bird, and that includes nabbing them.

If you need to you can try doing it solo. Takes a little practice but once you get it done it's really no slower than doing it with 2 people, assuming your birds don't run away from you.

I put each bird on a platform that's around waist high, then I put my left armpit over their wings and back to hold them in place, and use my left hand to grab the tail and lift up (for the older, fatter ones just lifting up on tail is enough, they're too lazy to escape). Right hand has the scissors. I quickly trim any obvious poopy bits and any spots under that where poop tends to land, and then let them go. Takes me about 2 minutes a bird, and that includes nabbing them.
I figured there was a way to do it solo. Will do that when no one’s available. My husband has agreed to do it. I think the chickens are finally growing on him.

Back
Top Bottom