Poop hammock-not going to work

Tried it out this week. The smell is horrific and even with daily emptying I’m afraid the fumes might be too much for the hens. 19 birds

Anyone find a way to make this work? The two roosts are six feet across and about 48 and 56 inches in height. I’m not excited to fabricate poop boards.
We made our own slide in and out wood poop board ourselves in a jiffy with wood we had and covered it with sheet vinyl flooring remnant that we got locally for $12. It was enough to cover the whole floor of the coop and the poop board. We slide it out and empty every morning and wipe down. No smell, muss, or fuss.

Tried it out this week. The smell is horrific and even with daily emptying I’m afraid the fumes might be too much for the hens. 19 birds

Anyone find a way to make this work? The two roosts are six feet across and about 48 and 56 inches in height. I’m not excited to fabricate poop boards.
build a simple box for under the roosts and fill with sand or Sweet PDZ. It's a really simple build.

We use foam playpen pads cut to size under the roost bar and under the ladder roost. They're made to fold up and also to lie flat, so every morning we fold them up, carry them outside, and hose them off, then hang them to dry in the barn. At night they go back down under the roosts. I absolutely do not get the point of using boards and trying to scrape poo off them.

The roost bar also has sand under it, and because it's covered with the foam pad at night it stays clean. The birds love to sit in the cool sand during the hottest part of the day.

Been using poop board under roosts for years, scrap it clean every day or 2, no smell at all. dump the poop around fruit trees, in fenced orchard in summer and in veg garden in fall and winter, till it in in spring, works great for me and no hard work.

I have a poop board, and just dog food bags stapled on there, then newspaper, so easy
to roll up the newspaper with the poop, and the slick dog bags you just scrape, replace
newpaper. Voila. Might be worth a try?
great idea, I painted my poop board with 3 coats water based and I can wash it down every so often. It is paint that is safe for babies and chickens. I have 20 chickens and no smell as I said before.

We made our own slide in and out wood poop board ourselves in a jiffy with wood we had and covered it with sheet vinyl flooring remnant that we got locally for $12. It was enough to cover the whole floor of the coop and the poop board. We slide it out and empty every morning and wipe down. No smell, muss, or fuss.
Another great idea, I had considered vinyl also, went with the 3 coats of paint. I forgot to mention that I scrape the poop board with an old hoe, into a bucket, chickens do most of their pooping at night and are out in the yard during the day. Works for me.

Just reading this thread again, we started with laminate boards for catching poop on. It worked well all summer, I would hose it off and put back in the coop., but then I realized in winter it would be horrible to try to wash the board, as it might freeze or not dry. Plus taking it to the hose and back would take forever in the freezing weather.so we bought a boot tray and filled with sand. Just pull forward, clean using a kids hoe and kitty litter scoop. Then toss into a nearby bucket. Push back into place. No smell 🎉

I have a bale of straw under the roost, picky side up. The fresh manure tends to fall into the bale rather than resting on top. The straw with the poop is a wonderful combination for quick composting. It doesn't matter which what the chickens face, the bale of straw is wide enough. Every spring the bale is switched with a fresh bale.

Back
Top Bottom