Poop hammock-not going to work

I tried nothing beneath and thought the smell and mess built up too quickly. 19 birds ( five are bantams) in 6by13 coop with two big TSC bags of compressed shavings and by the end of the second week it was stinky. The girls spend most of their time outside too.

When I had 4-6 hens in much smaller quarters per square foot it wasn’t so smelly

Large amounts of poop certainly can require different management than smaller amounts.

You have 3-4 times as many chickens now, so you might need much greater amounts of bedding, or more frequent cleaning, or both.

No. Sadly. And I’d need to stack them 4 high on either side and the middle at minimum. Would need 24 or so!

What I really need is Shelf Building for dummies.
What we did here: original 2 roosts were in line with nesting area so we added another roost. But we were able to use the original roosts as shelves. We are adding a piece of laminate flooring on this to collect and clean every couple of days.

Attachments

• IMG_5418.jpeg
    IMG_5418.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 11
Because I don’t know how. I don’t have anything tall enough to serve as stands to put boards on.
Do you own any tools? Do you have any family members or friends that have tools and can help?
All you need are a few 2x4's or even 2x3s, some plywood or OSB, 3.5-4" screws and 1.5"-2" screws to construct a poop board. A chop saw, power driver, circular saw and a 4' level.

Do you own any tools? Do you have any family members or friends that have tools and can help?
All you need are a few 2x4's or even 2x3s, some plywood or OSB, 3.5-4" screws and 1.5"-2" screws to construct a poop board. A chop saw, power driver, circular saw and a 4' level.

Some big box hardware store will make some cuts for no charge. They often have reject lumber much cheaper than A grade.

Poop board or the poop falling and collecting on the floor...either way you will have to pick it up.

I agree with @NatJ Let it fall and just use a shovel to scoop it in to a bucket every few days. I'd not wait two weeks to pick it up though.
x3. Might want to look into hemp as it's more siftable. If you sift out poop daily you should only need to refresh it on occasion and probably can reduce full cleanouts to maybe 1-3x a year depending on how dry the bedding stays.

Back
Top Bottom