Poop on butt feathers

Yogi Hollow Farm

Chirping
Sep 20, 2020
Hi all,

I need your feedback. I have a Rhode Island Red pullet that is 6 months old. Today I noticed poop on her feathers near the vent. She is acting normal and no signs of illness. Do I need to be concerned? Do I need to take action? I planned to gently cut the poop and affected feathers off of her. Thanks in advance. She wouldn’t stay still for the pic but here it is also.
E88831E6-426E-44CA-A877-3E07E6182DEB.jpeg

Can you get a close-up of her vent area? Look her over for any lice and lice eggs. Sometimes those may increase the amount of poop that is caught by the feathers. Sometimes it is positional, and if they have loose droppings, those may collect repeatedly. If you decide to bathe her in a shallow warm bath, be sure to blow dry her feathers before putting her back outside. Here is what lice eggs look like:
1606086369789.jpeg

It's better to back her up to a basin of warm water and wash the grime off than to cut the feathers.

Some chickens just aren't very adept at shooting their poop beyond the feathers and some of it clings. Half my flock need regular butt tune-ups.
Thank you. First time it happened here so was concerned.

Can you get a close-up of her vent area? Look her over for any lice and lice eggs. Sometimes those may increase the amount of poop that is caught by the feathers. Sometimes it is positional, and if they have loose droppings, those may collect repeatedly. If you decide to bathe her in a shallow warm bath, be sure to blow dry her feathers before putting her back outside. Here is what lice eggs look like:
View attachment 2421513
Ah ok thanks for sending a pic and telling me what to look for. I’m gonna do what you and azygous suggested. If it is live does she need something to treat it and do I need to treat the flock also

Oh and I do not believe it looks like your pic of lice. It looks brownish like poop hanging from feathers. But I will look closer for sure

I have a six year old BR hen that is a lazy pooper... she just doesn't squat good enough and it lands on her down feathers. Lucky for me she is super friendly and we do monthly back end baths!

You may have to do the same.. or it could have been a one time miss.. warm water washes clean them up quick.. I would steer clear of cutting her feathers.

20200320_073947.jpg

I have a six year old BR hen that is a lazy pooper... she just doesn't squat good enough and it lands on her down feathers. Lucky for me she is super friendly and we do monthly back end baths!

You may have to do the same.. or it could have been a one time miss.. warm water washes clean them up quick.. I would steer clear of cutting her feathers.

View attachment 2421553
Thanks so much! I really appreciate this forum! You are all awesome!

Back
Top Bottom