Poop Sticking to Butt Feathers

Yeah, unless it's causing a problem like the OT, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a couple of fluffy butted birds with racing stripes down their butts, however it's just a nasty mess in some feathers, it's not causing any picking or irritation. The ones with lots of junk in the trunk get that a lot.

I have a couple of fluffy butted birds with racing stripes down their butts, The ones with lots of junk in the trunk get that a lot.
lau.gif

SO glad to find this thread! My 6 month old cuckoo marans has been having a very poop-covered butt lately. I wash her up, but it seems to return in no time. I'll have to remember to add the ACV more often to the waterers......~Beulah
ps...LOL @ "racing stripes'!!!

Hmm now I'm wondering about spraying their butts with Teflon!!!(only kidding! but it might work!)

I have a hen that loves to play in the flooded area around our irrigation box. She is always caked with mud on her feet and butt, she actually bathes like a dust bath in the mud!!( she thinks she's a duck!!) Well I also notice depending on what they're eating(squash, greens, etc) and or the cecal poos really tend to stick to their fluffy behinds. Yes some of my girls are clean as a whistle you can watch the poo roll right down and off, or they squat enough so it drops unscathed to the ground, and some are little piglets, to lazy to squat, or in the case of one, too chubby to reach around real well and clean herself off. So a few I pick up periodically and trim the dingle berries, this seems to help so more poo doesn't stick to and cause a build up, and the rest are good.

My chicken Guru friend told me it's a good habit to check your chickens periodically by holding them to access healthy weight, and to check for creepy crawlies, and anything out of the ordinary too. He said they can hide illness and problems well, and when ya just feed and water and don't take the time to observe, when issues arise it may be too late. So I've gotten in the habit when I trim butts, I grab the others just for a quick look also to make sure they feel solid and strong as well.

I have 3 RI Reds and only one with a sticky rear...I have started filling a small spray bottle with warm water and spraying the poop off the feathers when's it's warm outside. But it does seem to just be bad again within 4-5 days. But the fact that I just lay her down on her side and she doesn't try and get away, makes me think she's happy to get cleaned. I'm just hoping that nothing else is wrong.

I have a buff orph and a barred rock. The buff just has a really dirty butt but the rock's is red and raw. I am going to bathe them both then add acv to their water. Maybe some desitin on red butt as well. Let u know if this works!

I have a Buff Orphington that gets really bad poopy butt. I bring her into the kitchen plop a towel over her head, sit her on the counter with her butt hanging over the sink.. I use the sprayer with luke warm water and get only the focus area good and wet. I use dawn dish soap and slowly work out the chunks in the direction of the feather growth. Yes it is gross, but she really does like the end when I blow her dry on low heat with my hair dryer. She gets a butt bath about once a month or when it gets really bad. My other chickens get it too but they can go longer. This is a good time the check them for health and what not. I use Apple Cider Vinegar in their water all the time.

Back
Top Bottom