Poop Sticking to Butt Feathers

mschlimmer

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
We had 5 hens and about 3 months ago I noticed this chicken that was caked with poop in its feathers around the butt. I tried to wash it off as best as I could but in about a month, this chicken was found dead on its nest. Now today, there is another one and we caught it and tried to wash it but the poop is caked to the feathers all the way down to the skin. So now the whole back end of the chicken is showing and the other chickens are trying to peck her. I shut her up in the house and haven't let her out hoping that things will dry off and not be so bad for her. Does anyone have any ideas about this? The poor chicken, I am concerned that tonight she will be pecked badly. What is causing the poop to stick so badly to the feathers. Is there something we are feeding properly? Using the layer pellets along with scratch. When we lost the first one, we purchased a product called Performance Poultry to put in the water and have been giving that in a separate container during the day.

Thank you,
Margaret

Hmm now I'm wondering about spraying their butts with Teflon!!!(only kidding! but it might work!)

I have a hen that loves to play in the flooded area around our irrigation box. She is always caked with mud on her feet and butt, she actually bathes like a dust bath in the mud!!( she thinks she's a duck!!) Well I also notice depending on what they're eating(squash, greens, etc) and or the cecal poos really tend to stick to their fluffy behinds. Yes some of my girls are clean as a whistle you can watch the poo roll right down and off, or they squat enough so it drops unscathed to the ground, and some are little piglets, to lazy to squat, or in the case of one, too chubby to reach around real well and clean herself off. So a few I pick up periodically and trim the dingle berries, this seems to help so more poo doesn't stick to and cause a build up, and the rest are good.

My chicken Guru friend told me it's a good habit to check your chickens periodically by holding them to access healthy weight, and to check for creepy crawlies, and anything out of the ordinary too. He said they can hide illness and problems well, and when ya just feed and water and don't take the time to observe, when issues arise it may be too late. So I've gotten in the habit when I trim butts, I grab the others just for a quick look also to make sure they feel solid and strong as well.

We had 5 hens and about 3 months ago I noticed this chicken that was caked with poop in its feathers around the butt. I tried to wash it off as best as I could but in about a month, this chicken was found dead on its nest. Now today, there is another one and we caught it and tried to wash it but the poop is caked to the feathers all the way down to the skin. So now the whole back end of the chicken is showing and the other chickens are trying to peck her. I shut her up in the house and haven't let her out hoping that things will dry off and not be so bad for her. Does anyone have any ideas about this? The poor chicken, I am concerned that tonight she will be pecked badly. What is causing the poop to stick so badly to the feathers. Is there something we are feeding properly? Using the layer pellets along with scratch. When we lost the first one, we purchased a product called Performance Poultry to put in the water and have been giving that in a separate container during the day.

Thank you,
Margaret
I have a few really fluffy butts that get poo balls forming back there, I take scissors and trim the balls off, and put a small amount of ACV in their water helps firm things up....

What is ACV. The feathers are caked down to the body. I have still been out here researching and tomorrow will have to look to see if this might be some type of lice. The chicken is black and the caking is black. There seems to be a lot of feathers missing back there. I check her and didn't see any bugs on her but read about using a flashlight. Another idea to try.

Thank you.

What is ACV. The feathers are caked down to the body. I have still been out here researching and tomorrow will have to look to see if this might be some type of lice. The chicken is black and the caking is black. There seems to be a lot of feathers missing back there. I check her and didn't see any bugs on her but read about using a flashlight. Another idea to try.

Thank you.

Apple Cider Vinegar. But get some with the "mother" in it, unpasturized and unfiltered. 4-5 tablespoons per gallon of water.

Also, helps their immune system. You should put one tablespoon to every gallon of water.Use a plastic waterer not metal the metal will corrode. Use organic raw ACV the one with the mother in it & unfiltered. Get Braggs you can buy it at Kroger.Its not a wormer but helps prevent worms keeps the birds insides healthy. Its good for you as well.

And, if it's caked so badly as to irritate the skin, soak that girls behind a while and get that stuff off. It might take 30 minutes of soaking so be prepared for this not to be a quick bath. Just soak and work with it. Hopefully you have a tub or something deep enough to put her in for it.

My chicken was caked a couple of months ago and a scraped it off. It does not like me much, but it is caked again! What do I do to stop it?

Back
Top Bottom