Poop Sticking to Butt Feathers

Some chickens have teflon butts and some have velcro butts. No idea why. I would clip off the dirty feathers and perhaps spray the area with BlueKote if the others are picking at it.

I find that some of my chickens have runnier poo because when it's hot they drink more.

Yeah, unless it's causing a problem like the OT, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a couple of fluffy butted birds with racing stripes down their butts, however it's just a nasty mess in some feathers, it's not causing any picking or irritation. The ones with lots of junk in the trunk get that a lot.

I have a couple of fluffy butted birds with racing stripes down their butts, The ones with lots of junk in the trunk get that a lot.
lau.gif

SO glad to find this thread! My 6 month old cuckoo marans has been having a very poop-covered butt lately. I wash her up, but it seems to return in no time. I'll have to remember to add the ACV more often to the waterers......~Beulah
ps...LOL @ "racing stripes'!!!

I have 3 RI Reds and only one with a sticky rear...I have started filling a small spray bottle with warm water and spraying the poop off the feathers when's it's warm outside. But it does seem to just be bad again within 4-5 days. But the fact that I just lay her down on her side and she doesn't try and get away, makes me think she's happy to get cleaned. I'm just hoping that nothing else is wrong.

I have a buff orph and a barred rock. The buff just has a really dirty butt but the rock's is red and raw. I am going to bathe them both then add acv to their water. Maybe some desitin on red butt as well. Let u know if this works!

I have a Buff Orphington that gets really bad poopy butt. I bring her into the kitchen plop a towel over her head, sit her on the counter with her butt hanging over the sink.. I use the sprayer with luke warm water and get only the focus area good and wet. I use dawn dish soap and slowly work out the chunks in the direction of the feather growth. Yes it is gross, but she really does like the end when I blow her dry on low heat with my hair dryer. She gets a butt bath about once a month or when it gets really bad. My other chickens get it too but they can go longer. This is a good time the check them for health and what not. I use Apple Cider Vinegar in their water all the time.

Back
Top Bottom