poop stuck on chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickens asome, May 23, 2009.

1. chickens asome

chickens asome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    kenora ontairo canada
    i have a chicken that is only 1 week old and its got poop stuck to its bum what do i do please help

[​IMG]

2. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    That is Patsy Butt. You clean it off with warm water, and keep a eye on it.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had a chick once that had poop stuck to its butt. First I tried to wash it off with a nice warm very wet cloth, then I took a scissors and very carefully snipped it off. The feathers grew back ok.

4. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    ya, when my aunts chick had pasty but she got a wet paper towel and carfully i think pulled it off.

5. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    Get a little bowl of warm water, paper towels, Q-tips, and tweezers.

I start by soaking the little bum in the warm water. Hold the chick and dip the bottom in the water. Then I use the q-tip to get the poo off. You may need to keep soaking if it is really dryed on. After you get the poo off, just keep an eye on it to make sure it does not reoccur. I have heard some people put a little vaseline around the vent after cleaning, but I have not tried that yet.

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I have a beard trimmer that I could set for three days of beard stubble, silkie eye trimming, or pasty butts if my chicks needed. Now that it's warm and my head is shaven totally, I won't have to clean the beard trimmer again until Indiana's cold winter when I let my hair grow out or never never if we start again spending Jan-March in Florida like we used to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by