Poop!

https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

This is a post from a chicken blog that discusses chicken poop, in all its variations. It has lots of pictures :)sick ), so you can see what looks normal and what indicates the chicken may have a health issue. I found it very helpful several times.
Thank you! Their poop does not look like any of the worrisome poop. It could have to do with the low roosting bars and excess of feathers. I will keep an eye on them and maybe attempt a bath one day this week.

I had one girl that had a poop cluster on her bum this last summer. Once it gets started, the poop catches more poop, and it just keeps growing. I was going to take her off the roost one night to give her a bath, and that plan had to be rescheduled by a small emergency. The next day I found the poop "egg" in the run, as it had fallen off.

If you do give them baths, you might want to trim the feathers around the vents to keep the problem from starting again.

Just keep an eye on the poopy feathers. If they don't preen it off within a couple days,
you'll need to take a closer look and maybe trim some feathers.
Washing it off won't solve if it's long term issue.

Here's some tips for...
My Bug Check:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Just keep an eye on the poopy feathers. If they don't preen it off within a couple days,
you'll need to take a closer look and maybe trim some feathers.
Washing it off won't solve if it's long term issue.

Here's some tips for...
My Bug Check:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008
I don't think there are mites but I will check when bathing them tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom