Pooping blood

BCollie

Songster
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Redding, CA
Hi all -
I sold someone two eight week old chicks. She sent me this picture and told me one of the chicks is pooping blood. I have not noticed any of my chicks outside pooping blood(but they live outside now so it's possible I just didn't notice), and I think it's only one of the chicks. But I'm seriously concerned, that is a LOT of blood. What could it be? She said it only happened once, she hasn't noticed it again.

Coccidiosis. You need to treat with Corid.
Liquid Corid, 2 teaspoons per gal water, 5-7 days. Powder Corid, 1 1/2 teaspoons per gal water 5-7 days. Make fresh daily. Follow with probiotics after full treatment. Will kill chicks if not treated asap.

+1 for cocci, have her treat immediately with corid. If corid isnt available locally another option is sulmet i think its called.

Thanks guys. She said her friend is giving her medicine for it. Could it be cocci even though it only happened once?

Thanks guys. She said her friend is giving her medicine for it. Could it be cocci even though it only happened once?
chickens have two types of poop, regular chicken poop, which they do most of the time, and cecal poop, which most do about twice a day, so it's quite possible that that the blood came from the cecal pouch while doing a cecal poop... that might explain why more bloody poops haven't been seen. Make sense? I also agree that it could be coccidiosis.

-Kathy

Last edited:
My chick pooped out this white long brain looking thing. Does anyone know what it might be? I mean I didnt really get to see him today, since I was out today, but when I came back he had pooped out thing brain looking thing, and was very chirpy, I gave him food, and he ran to the food. He seems healthy, but that brain looking poop scares me. It literally looks like a white dried up brain. Please help, I dont wanna lose my chicks.

My chick pooped out this white long brain looking thing. Does anyone know what it might be? I mean I didnt really get to see him today, since I was out today, but when I came back he had pooped out thing brain looking thing, and was very chirpy, I gave him food, and he ran to the food. He seems healthy, but that brain looking poop scares me. It literally looks like a white dried up brain. Please help, I dont wanna lose my chicks.
Welcome to BYC!

Can you post a picture of it?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom