1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pooping chicken!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Orpie, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Orpie

Orpie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Ok having trouble. Have had problems with a chicken, or chickens, pooping on top of the nesting boxes. I tried to put a huge plastic garbage bag up there and secured it with push pins, but that chicken pecked it undone. So. Then I used OSB as a solution and blocked off the top of the boxes.
    So check this out... Now she, or they, are mopping inside the nest box. These that are doing this are not fully mature, but will be laying shortly.. Probably within a month or so. I have others who are laying though... Ok... So how do I stop this behavior?? Can't jut close off the boxes... Then my other birds can't lay... HELP!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. ktn65

ktn65 Out Of The Brooder

Is you nest box higher than the your roosts? They may just be looking for the best place to roost.

3. Orpie

Orpie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Georgia
    I have a three rung roost with the lowest rung being lower than the boxes, the second rung about even with them, and the third one slightly higher. ????

4. CoensChickens

CoensChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    Alpha, WI
    Maybe just add another rung to your roost. Ours love to climb and they are always on the top one which is about 4 1/2ft off the ground, about a foot taller than the top of the nesting boxes. You might need to move the location of your nesting boxes away from the roost also.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by