Pooping stinking green liquid

Is she drinking fluids and eating today? Green poop shows that she has not been eating enough. A lot of white urates could mean that she is dehydrated. How does her crop feel—empty and flat in her right chest, full, hard, or puffy? Is her tail up or down? I would try feeding her watery chicken feed and scrambled egg, but water is most important. Hold it up to her beak to drink out of a scoop or cup. Has she been laying normal eggs recently? Have you had any coccidiosis or other illnesses in the flock?

I think it feels full and swishy
I'm wondering if I keep her in with just water for 48 hrs and then reintroduce food?
If I keep her like this overnight with just water, it will let me see if crop empty in morning + keep eye on poop
Seems a plan
Thanks everyone for thee help
Excuse rubbish pix

Attachments

• 16299140013321671951065603697803.jpg
    16299140013321671951065603697803.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 13
Hi
Hydration does seem to be something
Just did our tea and had the end slices of tomatoes spare so took them. She came running out and pecked away enthusiatically
She did same with pieces of melon slice the other day
She's not been laying this week, but they are all a bit rubbish at laying
They consider themselves pets rather than working chickens I fear. We get 1 a day from 4 ( 1 of whom has never laid)
Her tail is up
Everyone else is fine
I am am abject beginner, but will try the crop thing and get back to the thread
Thanks very much for all the pointers x
So morning update is that crop still seems full, so am keeping her in and not feeding
Not convinced she's touched the water, so may have to try and syringe some in later

Last night's offering. Think crop is slightly smaller, although still not empty. 9.16 sm here now, will have been 48 hrs tonight at 7.30pm. Worried if her digestive system doesn't sort self she won't won't be well chicken. People are talking about electrolytes, is that something we can get in uk?

Attachments

• 16300521050332798512572231171064.jpg
    16300521050332798512572231171064.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Does her breath smell sour or bad if you press slightly on her crop? Electrolytes have a small amount of sugar, salt, and a little potassium in them. There are recipes for making your own, but children’s electrolytes (Pedialyte) and sport drinks (Gatorade) are good to use in a pinch.

How old is she? Some older hens can have reproductive problems, water belly, or other issues that may cause pressure in the abdomen so the crop empties slowly. @azygous has a good article about crop problems here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Your hen seems to suffer from a crop dysfunction, hence the green rather liquidy poop. Here is how to tell the difference between sour crop/impacted crop etc. and how to treat it.

This needs immediate attention as this is a life threatening issue.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thanks for the help La Fleche.

Sour crop seems to fit so treating with anti fungal article reccommends
Have a further dumb ass question though
Been treating and giving water only. Assumed article meant feed after treatment period (7 days), but reresd and now doubting self ..?!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210828-194528_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210828-194528_Chrome.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 4
Does her breath smell sour or bad if you press slightly on her crop? Electrolytes have a small amount of sugar, salt, and a little potassium in them. There are recipes for making your own, but children’s electrolytes (Pedialyte) and sport drinks (Gatorade) are good to use in a pinch.

How old is she? Some older hens can have reproductive problems, water belly, or other issues that may cause pressure in the abdomen so the crop empties slowly. @azygous has a good article about crop problems here:
Will see what's available here, in Electrolytes that is :)

Back
Top Bottom