Poops flock

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow I love your Yoda door on your brooder. Where on earth did you get that! It's the best. I want that door on my brooder now lol. :love
it was an old fruit crate we got back when Mandalorian first dropped! I think it had a couple grape packs.... well, the crate died, but i saved most the branded pieces in a box and found em again just before the build started! Was meant to be!

:welcome
For 8 chickens, you only need 2 nest-boxes.
Unless you want /have a broody to sit quietly to hatch a few more chicks next year. 🐣🐣🐣🐣
heeeeeey!!!

I just figured they all had their own bed to lay eggs in! Will they just use 2 like a drop station and rotate out??

What i need some assisstance in more than anything... we want to let our boy go and be frisky for a lil bit to see some crosses and some pure bred from him and an 'identical' sister... but we also want fresh eggs on the regular and I feel like pullin him from the flock might be stressfull as well???

How do most manage the breeding rotation, and more importantly, the long term care of the flock as a whole?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
We have an 8 year old red boy cropped and a 3 year old black girl flopped!

Birds sound the alarm any time one creeps into the garage... how long till they will smack sense into an over curious derp hound?

I have 2 cats that wrestle freely with my pups, but my boy has caught birds in the backyard on the run and licks his lips more than Id like when he sniffs the brooder... so I would prefer he know they can be formidable before doing a real introduction...

Assuming your cropped & flopped descriptions apply to two Dobies? 😉 🙂

Definitely proceed with caution; both of our dogs (corgi & border collie mix) have a very unhealthy preoccupation with my chickens, so I intend that ne'er the twain shall meet. It would not go well for the chooks, who are openly curious about the dogs (through a secure fence). Both dogs successfully hunt gophers and the corgi has caught a few unwary small birds - very strong prey drive so I won't risk it. The BC has run at the fence numerous times to make the pullets squawk & flap & run, so big NO there. The Corg, while sweet with other dogs & people, is jealous of the time I spend with the flock (all attention should be HIS.)

Of course, you know your particular dogs best!

And a hearty welcome to the delightful, resourceful BYC community!

Back
Top Bottom