Poopy Butt, Soft Eggs, and Suggestions for Epson Salt Bath

Stop any foods but the layer feed. Don’t add oyster shell to feed, but have it in a separate container for free taking. For the hen you suspect, you can isolate her in a dog crate with food and water, and watch for her next egg. A human calcium tablet with vitamin D or Tums can be given for 3 days to see if the egg shells become hard. Some hens may lay shell-less eggs due to a reproductive condition or past exposure to infectious bronchitis virus. A simple Dawn soap bath in warm water, rubbing the soiled areas after soaking, then blow dry and keep her inside until she is fully dry would be what I would do.
Thank you!

Do you isolate inside or outside?

Do you dissolve the Tums? Crush and mix in food? Or just give her the table to peck?

Intuition tells me a nice hot bath goes a long way towards wellness in all creatures. So, I will definitely do the bath and blow dry. Followed by a short hospital stay under observation.

Yes, I mix some grit in the food. I also supplement with greens from the garden, but they don't seem to choose those over the pellets.

She's not lethargic or acting sick.

Yes, there are grubs included in the pellets. Probably overdoing it then, huh?
I would offer the grit free choice instead of mixing it with the feed.

Keep us posted!

To me, part-open, part-sheltered seems like an ideal setup.

I figure that chickens know how to be chickens better than I know how to be a chicken so I like to offer them choices -- sun or shade, weather or shelter, inside or outside ...

Keep us posted!

Keep us posted!
Wish I were a better site navigator so I could update everyone who so kindly lent guidance yesterday in one post. Here's the update:

I gave Catherine a nice steam bath with Epsom salt and lavender. Set her in the tub and covered it with a towel. Shocked how much she liked it. Lots of coos coming from under the towel. Then, she got a blowout. She didn't hate the blow out. Feathers take forever to dry!

Then, I put her in my little home hospital. She didn't seem happy in the hospital. A little restless, and the crazy weather had warmed following the tornado warnings to about 70 degrees. So, I set her back with her flock. She called all the girls to her before the door closed. Would love to know what she told them about her lavender spa treatment?!

This morning Catherine laid an egg and seemed to be stepping lighter. There were no soft-shelled eggs in the coop mixed with the nightly poop. I think we have a full recovery! Thank you all so much! This community is so helpful. I am learning through experience and second guess everything. Really appreciate all the time and wisdom and experience shared. Catherine is pictured below with Cleo and Latifa enjoying the Bradford Pear blossoms raining down in the backyard.
IMG_1403.jpeg

I’ve learned a few things reading this thread. I have 3 buffs, all of whom need butt baths. They are otherwise normal and healthy, free range in my backyard, and eat layer crumbles. I probably over-snack them with black fly grubs to keep them occupied and entertained, my yard is an interesting and fun place. So we’ll throttle back on the grubs and give the girls epsom salt baths this morning. Their eggs are fine, btw. I do have one with fowl pox and I’m treating that as best I can (and eradicating mosquitoes). Thanks for the great info.

Back
Top Bottom