1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poopy Butt Warning!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MayberrySaint, Mar 27, 2007.

1. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I know i read on here about looking out for the dreaded poopy butt on baby chicks. Well on Saturday, I picked up each of my 48 chicks and any that had cling-ons, I dipped in a bowl of warm water and then gently pulled the poop away. Everything seemed OK until tonight...I was observing the chicks and noticed one that was much smaller than her mates. I picked her up and she seemed to be really light...turned her over and lo and behold....POOPY BUTT!!!! I cleaned her up and as soon as I finished she had a huge BM...I am sure she was constipated from the cling-ons. So in the span of just 3 days, her picky compaction almost killed her. I think if I had not seen her tonight, she would have been to far gone to recover.

Andy

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good catch, I've had the same thing happen!

3. MayberrySaint

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    It really amazed me how "skin and bones" she was...and I guess it shows how quickly the others are growing.

4. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    I check my chicks once a day for over a week, just to be sure it's gone.

5. MayberrySaint

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Quote:I think that is a good guideline. Just checked in on them and 47 chicks are sleeping and the poor, little feller that had the poopy butt is up eating like crazy. He really must have been starving. I feel bad I didn't catch it sooner. Learned a valuable lesson...

Andy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by