Poopy butt

Get right down to see the skin and vent.
I took a quick look this morning before work, will get down to the vent for a deeper inspection later. This is what it looks like right now (I don't have a picture at its worst, but there was a large solid fist-size ball of poop swinging left and right as she walked... which is gone now)

1614350921059.png

1614351021053.png

The first picture shows another oddity particular to this chicken. Her tail is crooked :lol: It's like when she moves it to the side to balance, as she's walking or turning, she forgets to straighten it out after that, and it remains pointing to one side. She's the only one that does this, and has been doing it for as long as she's had a tail. She's just all kinds of special... and the subject of several threads I've posted asking for opinions or advice. She's the one with the poopiest butt. She's the one with the weird heavy breathing at night and the odd sleeping position (tilted forward with her head dangling down and her butt up in the air). She's the one with the jealousy issues who doesn't like it when I hold another chicken. And the one who wouldn't go under the brooder plate as a chick and instead would come out and yell for me to hold her. She's the most comically-shaped and comically-behaving of them all, a constant source of entertainment, hilarity and endearment. If there's anything odd or funny going on, it just has to be her. I love her :love

1614351734152.png

I took a quick look this morning before work, will get down to the vent for a deeper inspection later. This is what it looks like right now (I don't have a picture at its worst, but there was a large solid fist-size ball of poop swinging left and right as she walked... which is gone now)
I'd definitely trim that fluff.
The tail crook, and other issues, could indicate some anatomical anomalies, could also be why she doesn't clear the fluff when she poops.

I went and did a deeper inspection into the butt situation this afternoon. Here she is, patiently presenting the goods:

1614369836654.png

And here's the vent. Looks clear, pink and juicy. There are small lumps of dry poop around it, but nothing major, and nothing that would block it or weigh her down. Should I still trim? It looks pretty minor to me.

1614370010514.png

I went and did a deeper inspection into the butt situation this afternoon. Here she is, patiently presenting the goods:

View attachment 2546321

And here's the vent. Looks clear, pink and juicy. There are small lumps of dry poop around it, but nothing major, and nothing that would block it or weigh her down. Should I still trim? It looks pretty minor to me.

View attachment 2546325
I would trim all those poopy feathers off. You don't want it to build up again.

Up to you. I'd keep an eye on it.
Are any of the others like that?
Fly strike might be a concern.

This is the reason I don't keep fluffy butted birds,
had a couple cochin mixes in my first flock, they were always a mess.

Up to you. I'd keep an eye on it.
Are any of the others like that?
Fly strike might be a concern.

This is the reason I don't keep fluffy butted birds,
had a couple cochin mixes in my first flock, they were always a mess.
After the thaw, she's the only one left with any poop on her. The other ones have fluffed up and look clean. If this were happening in the summer, with flies out, I'd definitely bathe and trim her, but there are no flies in Boston in February (or March or April or May... Winter really only ends in May here) so fly strike shouldn't be a problem quite yet. I'll keep an eye on her. I love the fluffy butts too much... That's one of the best things about chickens! :lol: Especially these outrageously fluffy English Orps. She was totally fine during the other seasons, really only got messy when we started getting freezing temperatures. I'm still going to reset her with a nice bath once the weather gets a little nicer. If the poop starts getting worse again before that, I'll trim.

Back
Top Bottom