Poopy butt

Vicki F

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 1, 2018
Northern Idaho

How do I clean petrified poop from butt​

Just got 3 freebie chickens & have petrified poop on all 3. What is safest way for chickens & humans with out using harsh soap. Is there an organic way?? Vinegar, saltwater, or something else??

What do you mean by “petrified?”

If you mean hard, what I do is gently use a damp paper towel to try and remove it.
That often doesn’t work for me, so what I usually do is turn the faucet onto a fairly warm temperature, but not too hot. (But also not too cold) I would say maybe warm shower temp.
Take the chick, and run it’s butt under the warm water, I usually do this for about a minute of it’s fairly bad. No need to turn the chick upside down or anything. It’s ok if some water gets on it’s back, but try not to get water on their face that much. Basically what you are doing is moistening the poop so you can easily wipe it off. Once a minute or so has passed, or it seems like it is good, gently with a damp paper towel wipe the poop off. It should be all gone. (Note, the chick will most likely peep and scream at you when your doing this, but it’s for the better good.)

Make sure to get the chick as dry as you can. I usually dab off excess water, then make sure the brooder is nice and toasty. (I lower the heat lamp a touch) and wait for it to dry off. Once it’s done drying, raise the heat lamp to the regular position. (That is, if your using a heat lamp.)

If your referring to something other than dried on pasty butt, hopefully someone else can help.

Sorry no ones responded yet.

What do you mean by “petrified?”

If you mean hard, what I do is gently use a damp paper towel to try and remove it.
That often doesn’t work for me, so what I usually do is turn the faucet onto a fairly warm temperature, but not too hot. (But also not too cold) I would say maybe warm shower temp.
Take the chick, and run it’s butt under the warm water, I usually do this for about a minute of it’s fairly bad. No need to turn the chick upside down or anything. It’s ok if some water gets on it’s back, but try not to get water on their face that much. Basically what you are doing is moistening the poop so you can easily wipe it off. Once a minute or so has passed, or it seems like it is good, gently with a damp paper towel wipe the poop off. It should be all gone. (Note, the chick will most likely peep and scream at you when your doing this, but it’s for the better good.)

Make sure to get the chick as dry as you can. I usually dab off excess water, then make sure the brooder is nice and toasty. (I lower the heat lamp a touch) and wait for it to dry off. Once it’s done drying, raise the heat lamp to the regular position. (That is, if your using a heat lamp.)

If your referring to something other than dried on pasty butt, hopefully someone else can help.

Sorry no ones responded yet.
Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately my 2 Gals & 1 Ghent are approx 1-2 yrs old. However I will attempt your advice on a larger scale.

This might work for older chickens too but I usually only have to do this with chicks...

I have a large sink (like a utility sink) with a kitchen sprayer. I use warm water and just hold the chicken to calm it in one hand and continuously spray warm water until it softens. Sometimes pinching the hard spot to see if it will break up. I agree with trimming the feathers for older chickens, but if there is some that can't be trimmed warm water bath of some kind will do the trick. Just like cleaning the poop of feeders/waters etc, a little water soaking goes a long way.

Ladies & Gents, much appreciated advice & will definitely try both clipping & soaking. Pics to come of the mighty endeavor. May be a few days as we are expecting a cool front w/nite temps under 40 degrees & as all 3 need it, I don’t want frosty butt 🥶

Ladies & Gents, much appreciated advice & will definitely try both clipping & soaking. Pics to come of the mighty endeavor. May be a few days as we are expecting a cool front w/nite temps under 40 degrees & as all 3 need it, I don’t want frosty butt 🥶
Putting a heat lamp in their coop during drying will ensure they don't get chilled. Also a hair dryer makes for dry feathers fast, just monitor the temperature of the air with your hand. Using a low fan setting won't startle the hen as much. I have seen chickens lean in to the hot air they like it so much. For soaking you can use a rubbermaid tub with a temporary mesh lid. Just like you would soak an egg bound hen.

Back
Top Bottom