Poopy Butts/Purple Comb

sierra123

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
Hello!

I have a flock of 4 year old Cinnamon Queens/Golden Comets. I know they aren't supposed to live long, lots of reproductive issues, etc., but I still feel that something treatable is amiss. It's been on/off and has me so confused. It looks like vent gleet. How is that treated, and could these symptoms go along with it?

Symptoms are:

-Several in the flock have purple comb. No visible signs of respiratory distress. A few months back there was one who was having serious respiratory issues. When it progressed and then everyone started sneezing, I treated everyone with herbs/Vet RX/oregano oil, nothing worked, so I resorted to liquid enrofloxacin. Everyone has since improved and have not had any other respiratory signs. They have a secondary waterer with probiotics & electrolytes that they have had access to since stopping antibiotics several weeks ago. [I know- I should not use antibiotics...and do not plan on it again]
-Molting and loss of feathers. They just will not grow back. I give scrambled eggs and 18% chick feed a few times a week which seems to be helping, but some have this consistent bare neck and totally featherless booty.
-Diarrhea and pasty butts. There's been one on my radar who always seems to be eggbound. I give her epsom soaks which helps. Lately it's looking like a prolapsed vent or egg bound. She had two epsom soaks today and I will check her again and repeat tomorrow. But now others are afflicted too. The butts are all looking a little poopy and now two of them have the egg bound wobble.
-Less eggs. Again, this is on and off. I keep noticing less eggs and thinking they're just at the end of their laying years. But then I'll treat with VetRx or herbs or ACV or something else, and suddenly everyone picks up again and lays great. For this reason, I feel like low egg production is a symptom of an underlying ailment rather than just age.

I really feel like they are otherwise healthy and on a great routine as far as diet/supplements/etc. I have been slacking on cleaning their coop. They have seen a vet in the past and at that time, I treated for worms & used a supplemental feed to help some gain weight.

I just can't shake the feeling that something is going on that's affecting them all, beyond just age. Could it be worms again? Or some sort of infection?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Why? That was the only thing that worked. The "natural" route did nothing.

With what and targeting what species?
Have you had a mixed fecal float done on the flock?
Thanks for your reply! I would want to use the correct type of antibiotic in the future if needed. I had a broad spectrum on hand and I'm glad it worked, but I don't want to resort to throwing antibiotics at them every time something is up.

What is a fecal float test? The vet identified the type of worm and recommended Safeguard last time.

What is a fecal float test?
When a prepared fecal sample is analyzed under a microscope to determine the species of worms that have laid eggs in the intestinal tract as well as any other internal parasites that may be present.
The vet identified the type of worm and recommended Safeguard last time
Safeguard would be dicey to use during a molt as there is evidence suggesting it can negatively affect feather growth. But first you'd need to know what you're dealing with. I would get a float done ASAP.

Screenshot_20231023_072314_Drive.jpg

I attached the results of the worm test. They are positive for tapeworm eggs and coccidia (eimeria oocysts). Fortunately it doesn't look like a heavy infestation. Does anyone know what I should treat them with? Thank you!

When a prepared fecal sample is analyzed under a microscope to determine the species of worms that have laid eggs in the intestinal tract as well as any other internal parasites that may be present.

Safeguard would be dicey to use during a molt as there is evidence suggesting it can negatively affect feather growth. But first you'd need to know what you're dealing with. I would get a float done ASAP.
Thank you! I attached an image of the float test results. Do you have any idea how to move forward with treatment? I'm sure the vet will want me to bring her in for a full test, labs, etc. again despite the worm results. I'm really hoping someone with knowledge in this area can assist me without having to take her in.

Attachments

• Worms.png
    Worms.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 12
I attached the results of the worm test. They are positive for tapeworm eggs and coccidia (eimeria oocysts). Fortunately it doesn't look like a heavy infestation. Does anyone know what I should treat them with? Thank you!
Treat the coccidiosis with Corid. The directions are on the label. You can get the liquid form at Tractor Supply.
To treat the tapeworms you want to use praziquantel. You can find options on how to find and dose this drug here:
Thread 'Treating Tapeworms - Under Construction' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Treat the coccidiosis with Corid. The directions are on the label. You can get the liquid form at Tractor Supply.
To treat the tapeworms you want to use praziquantel. You can find options on how to find and dose this drug here:
Thread 'Treating Tapeworms - Under Construction' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/
THANK YOU! I picked up supplies, started Corid yesterday and have Equimax for praziquantel to dose tomorrow. However, I'm not sure which one has the tapeworms. I mixed all fecal samples together. I'm assuming it's one hen with diarrhea and poopy tail feathers, and another one (or few) who were going through a really tough molt. But I can't discern whether those symptoms are caused by coccidia (and therefore have nothing to do with the tapeworms) or if those particular hens would be the ones with the worms. Do all of them likely have worms? Basically, do I dose everyone individually with praziquantel, or just the ones who have more of the feather loss/diarrhea symptoms?

I'm not sure which one has the tapeworms.
It doesn't matter.
Do all of them likely have worms?
Yes
do I dose everyone individually with praziquantel
Yes.

You use a very small amount of the paste. Pay attention to the amount you give them. I use a 3 ml syringe with 0.1 ml graduation marks, pull the plunger out then insert the end of the horse wormer into the end of the syringe to almost fill it then put the plunger back in.

I weigh each bird on a digital scale then calculate the dose, squirt it onto a piece of bread, ball up the bread and offer it the the chicken in an area away from the others so no one can steal it. If she won't eat it willingly, I open her beak and pop it in and she'll swallow it.

Then move on to the next hen.

Back
Top Bottom