Poopy Butts/Purple Comb

It doesn't matter.

Yes

Yes.

You use a very small amount of the paste. Pay attention to the amount you give them. I use a 3 ml syringe with 0.1 ml graduation marks, pull the plunger out then insert the end of the horse wormer into the end of the syringe to almost fill it then put the plunger back in.

I weigh each bird on a digital scale then calculate the dose, squirt it onto a piece of bread, ball up the bread and offer it the the chicken in an area away from the others so no one can steal it. If she won't eat it willingly, I open her beak and pop it in and she'll swallow it.

Then move on to the next hen.
Thank you. While giving the Equimax, I lost control of the tray I had the meds on. I am worried because a few of them may have had 2-3x the 0.16 ml dose I had measured out. What are the symptoms of overdose? Is there anything I can do now to mitigate risk for the ones who may have double dosed?

For context: I use an ice cube tray with a cardboard cover, the cover has flaps that I cut out. This way I can lift each individual tab to expose the pre-measured dose that sits in the ice cube hole. I keep all hens in the coop, let them out one by one and lift one flap at a time so the hen only see their dose and goes for that. This has worked in the past.

However... about 6 hens in, they broke free and surrounded me. If any had Equimax visible on their beak I tried to avoid access. But they ended up tearing apart the whole thing. I tried to contain it as best I could and give the dry beak hens the remaining doses. But I'm sure it wasn't perfect, and I know there were some who got too much. Is there any chance of them dying from this?

Back
Top Bottom