Poopy eggs :(

hikingdad

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
Wisconsin
My broody hen pooped all over her eggs :( We were out of town for 3 days which is when this happened. We gently cleaned them off, cleaned up the bedding and put the eggs back under her. Today is day 10. Is there anything else we should do? This is our first time with a broody hen so we are hoping a few hatch.

I've had my chickens for going on two years now and I think the eggs will be fine. :) I went away for a month and came back to two broody Cochins sitting on thirty eggs. I was unsure of how long they had been sitting and most of the eggs had big clumps of poop on them. I cleaned them somewhat then stuck them back under the mothers. about two weeks later I had all but two hatch. I wouldn't be head over heels worried over them mine were all very healthy and did great! Hope this helps some.

I've hatched both poopy eggs and eggs that had yolk from a broken egg dried on them. Didn't notice a huge difference in hatch rates. I think your eggs will be fine.

She hasn't pooped for 24 hours. Should I take her off the nest so she can relieve herself or just hope she does it right this time?

Have you got her in such a small confined space she cannot get off the nest to " go" every once in a while , stretch her legs, etc?

Back
Top Bottom