Poopy poopy poopy water water everywhere!!!

Chickenuser

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Well, my chicks have been poopin in their water ALL the time.
barnie.gif

I have to clean it every morning b/c they poop soooo much, they can't drink any more. And they still drink it while they can.
Is this a health hazard or just a nuicanse (sp)??
hu.gif

idunno.gif

It is mostly just somthing you have to stay on top of. I change their water twice a day. It still gets poopy. You can raise the level of the waterer with a block and that helps a little. A little poop in the water isn't going to kill anyone though. A lot of poop in the water that has been sitting around in a heated brooder though... I sure wouldnt want to drink it! When your chickens get older you can use a hanging waterer and get it higher off the ground. Then you won't be changing the water all the time.

Raise the waterer until it is about even with their backs. As they grow, keep raising it. If they can't get their butt over the rim, they can't poop in it. However, when they scratch around, you may still get some shaving in the water.

The title of your thread made me laugh out loud! I can sympathize.
Definitely raise the waterer to back level as suggested above. When raising chickens, clean, fresh water is critical, in my opinion. I don't add anything to it, either.

I use the funnel method on my feeders & waterers. Keeps the dust out of the feeds & poop out of the water.

I admit raising the level helped some but there's still poop in the water! I clean it out about three times a day and while I'm at work they just have to suffer!

Back
Top Bottom