Poopy poopy poopy water water everywhere!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickenuser, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Chickenuser

Chickenuser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Well, my chicks have been poopin in their water ALL the time.[​IMG]
    I have to clean it every morning b/c they poop soooo much, they can't drink any more. And they still drink it while they can.
    Is this a health hazard or just a nuicanse (sp)??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    It is mostly just somthing you have to stay on top of. I change their water twice a day. It still gets poopy. You can raise the level of the waterer with a block and that helps a little. A little poop in the water isn't going to kill anyone though. A lot of poop in the water that has been sitting around in a heated brooder though... I sure wouldnt want to drink it! When your chickens get older you can use a hanging waterer and get it higher off the ground. Then you won't be changing the water all the time.

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Raise the waterer until it is about even with their backs. As they grow, keep raising it. If they can't get their butt over the rim, they can't poop in it. However, when they scratch around, you may still get some shaving in the water.

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    The title of your thread made me laugh out loud! I can sympathize.
    Definitely raise the waterer to back level as suggested above. When raising chickens, clean, fresh water is critical, in my opinion. I don't add anything to it, either.

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mine jump on top of the water-er and THEN poop in the water. [​IMG]
    I just keep changing it like a good chicken mom....

6. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Carri,
    Try taping an inverted funnel on top of the waterer. That usually keeps them off of it.

7. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I use the funnel method on my feeders & waterers. Keeps the dust out of the feeds & poop out of the water.

8. Mechanic1987

Mechanic1987 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Anniston, Ala.
    The funnel and raising the water container works. You want have to clean it as much, just keep it filled.

9. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    If you think chicks are bad, try raising Ducklings!!! He he he he he he!![​IMG]

10. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    I admit raising the level helped some but there's still poop in the water! I clean it out about three times a day and while I'm at work they just have to suffer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by