Poopy Saturday

My sweet Dixie has a lot of butt fluff so I occasionally have to bathe her rear and/or trim back the fluff. I think she enjoys the spa day, I take her in the house and use warm water and cloth to soften the stuck poop, eventually it comes off. If not I may just trim the section off or add soap to the water to help loosen the poop. If it’s winter I’ll use the low setting on a hairdryer to dry the fluff before putting her outside. In warm weather pat with towel to remove excess water and let her back to her friends.
Thank you

My sweet Dixie has a lot of butt fluff so I occasionally have to bathe her rear and/or trim back the fluff. I think she enjoys the spa day, I take her in the house and use warm water and cloth to soften the stuck poop, eventually it comes off. If not I may just trim the section off or add soap to the water to help loosen the poop. If it’s winter I’ll use the low setting on a hairdryer to dry the fluff before putting her outside. In warm weather pat with towel to remove excess water and let her back to her friends.
Thank you

Hi
Are her poos white streaked anwatery?
Make sure to bathe her. Has she gained weight suddenly? It could be vent gleet. Make sure treats aren’t part of her staple diet and that she is drinking and eating normally. Occasionally they get a bit messy from time to time.
If you notice symptoms try mixing her feed with water so it’s easier for her to eat you can also try a syringe.
Usually nothing to worry about but hope this helps it is vent gleet usually takes around two weeks to pass.
Hope she’s ok.
Happy chicken 🐔 keeping!!!

She is acting ok. This is my first flock, I have been very diligent about taking good care of them. Someone suggested warm bath. I might try that. Thank you for your help!!
You just need to bathe the back side. Someone described the best way in this thread. Someone else mentioned maggots, so you don’t want too much poop to stay there. Also poop sticks the feathers together so that poop can’t just fall straight down anymore and continues to gather around the vent. I washed a chicken butt this morning for that reason. Sometimes they get watery poop for no real reason and it straightens upon a day or so, but sometimes they are sick. Make fermented feed for them all. They will benefit. The water in my FFhad Sa-A-Chick in it for a bit extra electrolytes.

Back
Top Bottom