Poopy vent

Alydup

Songster
Aug 20, 2018
One of my hens was egg bound a few weeks back. She had a bunch of hard dried poop that I managed to soak most of off. I had also given her extra calcium but ended up having to break the egg and pull it out. The whole egg came out without any shell left and she then laid a second egg. I put some hemorrhoid cream on for a few days to help swelling settle and she’s been laying everyday since but she still has old hardened poop accumulated there. Does she have a further issue that anyone knows of or should I just keeping soaking it for now? Thanks!!

Congratulations on handling your egg bound hen successfully. Cleaning a crusty butt should be a walk on the beach in comparison.

Run some warm water in a basin and back the hen up to it. I like to use baby shampoo on "cement" poopy feathers. I splash warm water on the butt until the crust softens a bit. A little baby shampoo on the crust will soften it further. Massage it into the feathers until all the crust is loose. Then rinse with plenty of warm water. Pat dry with a towel. Do not rub the feathers. Blow dry if it's cold. Let the sun air dry her if it's warm.

Back
Top Bottom