Poopy vent

Jackson F

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2023
my hens vent feathers have in dried poop on them. Not all her vent feathers are covered in it but it is pretty covered. She seems to be acting normal. Is a dirty vent normal? Thank you all

It can be common in some hens, especially if they have had some runny stools. Clean off any dried poop, wash her in warm soapy water if necessary in a warm spot. Trim any excess fluff.

What's her age, diet and has she been wormed? Is the poop white or more brown? Can you get a picture?
She is 9 months old, she’s been eating standard layer grain, grass, leaves whatever else they find in my yard, and sometimes table scraps. I’ve used Food Grade DE in their dust bath and coop in the past but not completely sure what you mean by wormer. The poop is definitely brown. I cleaned a lot of it not here is the rest I couldn’t get out

Attachments

• F0762173-02B0-4A90-A3B6-A90052C7AB9C.jpeg
    F0762173-02B0-4A90-A3B6-A90052C7AB9C.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 8
She is 9 months old, she’s been eating standard layer grain, grass, leaves whatever else they find in my yard, and sometimes table scraps. I’ve used Food Grade DE in their dust bath and coop in the past but not completely sure what you mean by wormer. The poop is definitely brown. I cleaned a lot of it not here is the rest I couldn’t get out
What do you mean by layer grains?
That looks normal but I'd not add anymore DE, it won't prevent parasites and is a respiratory irritant for you and them.

What do you mean by layer grains?
That looks normal but I'd not add anymore DE, it won't prevent parasites and is a respiratory irritant for you and them.
I meant layer feed/crumbles. I didn’t know that about DE but it sure did help with the fly population. I think I’m going to wash her in a little tub tomorrow to loosen the crusted feathers and see if I can get the rest out. She’s been really cooperative today which really helped me out. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom