Poor brown duck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gallina y tres chicos, Jul 17, 2010.

1. gallina y tres chicos

gallina y tres chicos New Egg

Aug 11, 2009
    Today we went out to feed and water our lovely birds. We have a brown duck that has been sitting on her nest diligently for the last 27 days. Today would have been day 28, when we went out today our little brown girl was off her nest very noisy and agitated. When we went into the coop we saw movement by her nest and my heart leaped thinking that we had babies!!!! Only to find that the movement was coming from the Bull snake that had eaten 4 of the brown duck's six eggs. [​IMG] My five year old stood gard at the door and I tried to remove the snake with a garden hoe and relocate him out to the field further away. As I backed out of the coop with the snake wrapped around the hoe, (yes he did drop the egg he was eating) he slithered quickly back into the coop.

I was starting to worry and my five year old cheered me on " it's okay mom, be brave" I went back into the coop and stirred up the snake again, and he or she crawled up the side of the coop wall and behold went out the way he came in. There was a small hole about five feet up from the ground behind the roosting poles. We would have never known that the entry was back there. It is dark here now but first thing tomorrow morning we will be plugging that hole with expandable foam and steel wool.

We feel sad for our poor little brown duck, she was so diligent in her duty to hatch her eggies! Darn snake! Dang it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by