poor Chicken Joe

Family First

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2017
We purchased 6 chick from tractor supply. Bought every thing they sold us. 5of them are doing great. One bantam named Chicken Joe is sick. His eye is swollen shut. One foot looks swollen. He eats and drinks but does not look well. Sleeps all the time. Very concerned as we do love our family pets as our own. Please help!!!. Never raised chicken before. Thanks for any help

Welcome to BYC. That is unfortunate. He could have been pecked in the eye and got his foot sprained. With chick who seem weak or have problems, I would give him vitamins with electrolytes, in his water, or some Poultry NutriDrench 1 drop daily, and dip his beak in water for a second a few times every so often to make sure he is getting enough fluids. Check his bottom for pasty but which can occur, and clean it off with warm soapy water. We never know what problems these chicks have gone through in shipping and living in a feed store for a couple of days. They may have a hard time getting to water or food, and they can get trampled, or suffer from cold and dehydration in shipping. I would give him a good chance to thrive, and possibly get another replacement chick from TSC right away.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely do anything I can for him. We already love this little guy so much. Will keep informed of progress

Back
Top Bottom