1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

poor egglaying consistancy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mirsy09, Jan 29, 2011.

1. mirsy09

mirsy09 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    White Rock, BC
    I have a new flock of various ages. I have 17 young hens all less than 1 year. They are various heritage breeds. Some are laying and some are too young to lay eggs. Some are in various stages of moulting. The weather here in the NW has been everything to very cold, freezing, lots of snow, lots of rain and some warm sunny days. I feed laying pellets, alfalfa, veggie scraps, scratch, grit, oyster shell. They are under lights 12 hours/day. I close them up at nite and they out in a run during the day. I have tarped the run so that they are always dry. BUT.... my problem is I might get 8 eggs/ day or only 3 eggs.... why???[​IMG]

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I'm not sure; maybe it's just a bad year? Mine stopped laying last September, and are STILL on break!

3. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    cant say why [​IMG] sounds like you are doing everything you need to do...

maybe get more chickens? thats what i do when i need more eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by