Poor Hen! Monster Egg!

Isabrownmom, why would DH think you need to cull the whole flock to start over when they are young and laying well and not sick? Unless you cull them for meat? Just curious as to why if everything is normal now.
smile.png

Well, we have a hen in a large dog crate in the garage because the other five started beating her until they drew blood. Every time I try to reinstate her they go after her again. This started up early winter after spending an entire summer and fall together with no issues. Then another hen started limping just this last week (better now, probably a sparin) so he thinks we should just start over! I am going to have to put the hen in the garage into freezer camp but the other five will get to live out their laying years. I can make do with 5 hens as I only need enough eggs for our family of 3 and the occasional cake order!

my one rooster sprained his leg twice, him and his brother do not fit out the pop door at the same time. when everybody starts pileing out in the morning like a clown car somebodys bound to fall. now I hold my foot out and only allow one out at a time.

if I had just one hen I couldnt mix back in because of pesting what I would do is buy one or two slightly younger hens as buddies for her. qt them of course and then let them be good friends. once my new little group was all buddy buddy I would take their cage and put in next to the mean girls, let them see each other for a while. then I would do schedualed monitered time in one group and hit the nasty ones with a garden hose. if the mean girls are still being mean I would let the three new have the coop and lock all 5 of the mean girls up in a dark place away from each other. a good time out so to speak. Id leave the mean girls like that for a week then reintrduce everyone and watch out with the hose again.

Back
Top Bottom