Doulaness

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2018
I got into the chicken raising life from my cousin. He set me up with a few already layers and I have added layers since. So i took a big leap and decided to start with fresh baby chicks.
Initially i started with 7. On day one, 2 had died. Then i replaced them. We have been losing 1 on average every other day. Replacing as we go along. They are all 2 weeks old today, but i dont seem to understand why they are dropping. We lost 3 polish, 1 silver laced wyandotte and 1 baram. Remaining are 3 salmon, 2 jersey blue and an ameraucana.
I have changed their entire metal brooder(scrubbed with hot water and a scant amount of dawn soap) after our fourth death. They have fresh pine shavings, fresh water daily and fresh medicated feed daily. No poop stuck to any hatches. The light temp is currently set at 90. All chicks are fine during the day, but ALWAYS die in the middle of the night or very early morning (before the kids rise).

Any I, the newby chick lady, doing something wrong? How can i prevent further unexplained deaths? How can they be fine for a time and then start dropping? Why am i losing one ever other to every day?

Thanks for all your support. I always yurn to BYC for info!

Attachments

• 20180226_074647.jpg
    20180226_074647.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 13
Out of an abundance of caution I would probably switch to a new bag or even brand of feed, check the date on the bag to make sure it's fresh. May not be the issue, but I've gotten bad bags.

If I understand you are adding new chicks to the existing ones which have been dying? I would if I were you hold off on any new birds until you are sure the survivors are all healthy. I have heard some folks say don't use pine shavings because the chicks might eat it. I have seen others use shavings. You are going to get varying opinions on most everything as everyone has their own way. My only suggestion off the top of my head would be to hold off on any new birds for a bit until things settle down.

Now with the deaths being at night.. do you have cats? I'm wondering if in spite of your heat light being set at 90 they are still getting too chilled for whatever reason and are dying from being cold??

If I understand you are adding new chicks to the existing ones which have been dying? I would if I were you hold off on any new birds until you are sure the survivors are all healthy. I have heard some folks say don't use pine shavings because the chicks might eat it. I have seen others use shavings. You are going to get varying opinions on most everything as everyone has their own way. My only suggestion off the top of my head would be to hold off on any new birds for a bit until things settle down.
Yes we have stopped the replacement process at this point. Let these ones grow hopefully to maturity and we will do a new batch later in the spring.

Now with the deaths being at night.. do you have cats? I'm wondering if in spite of your heat light being set at 90 they are still getting too chilled for whatever reason and are dying from being cold??
No we do not have cats. I have one mutt dog who does not pay any mind to the chicks at all. I have a screen over the brooder to prevent escapes. I had considered still being too cold at night but they hover around the light, not directly under as I have read they will if cold.

I agree with wabbit. Maybe at night the temp is getting too cold. Do u have the chicks set up in the inside of the house or outside?

I agree with wabbit. Maybe at night the temp is getting too cold. Do u have the chicks set up in the inside of the house or outside?
They are inside, off the ground. I have a thermometer just to monitor temp. Light is on continuously.

How are they acting during the day? Running about, eating and drinking, playing? Any standing around, laying around, eyes closed, down puffed up? Any diarrhea, foamy poops? Is it possible that you have a mouse or rat, or something else that may be scaring them during the night, causing them to pig pile? Pig piling can result in bottom chicks being smothered.

How are they acting during the day? Running about, eating and drinking, playing? Any standing around, laying around, eyes closed, down puffed up? Any diarrhea, foamy poops? Is it possible that you have a mouse or rat, or something else that may be scaring them during the night, causing them to pig pile? Pig piling can result in bottom chicks being smothered.
Acting great during the day. Eating, drinking, making a mess and running around. Napping frequently. On the day we notice the changes in behavior, they sleep more, stop eating and interact less, usually that night, they die. Poops look completely normal, no diarrhea, blood or foam. Absolutely no chance of mouse or rat scaring them. They only seem to pigpile when the one dies, they all rush over and trample it to its final breath.

Back
Top Bottom