Sounds to me like you are doing everything right. Where are you buying your chicks from? And I agree with not adding more chicks.
Are their eyes shiny

They are inside, off the ground. I have a thermometer just to monitor temp. Light is on continuously.
Do the kids play and hold them? My nieces and nephew will see our chicks when we get them at the Easter Party. We had one chick get real lathargic but ended up ok a couple of hours later when the kids were gone. I would make sure they have bedding in there, food and water in the chick approved food and water holders, and the heating lamp is available and do not let anyone touch them .
That is weird they keep dying

Sounds to me like you are doing everything right. Where are you buying your chicks from? And I agree with not adding more chicks.
Are their eyes shiny
I bought these from a local lady who breeds them- most likely never again. I have purchased layers without problems, but her chicks don’t seem to do well- not with me at least. Their eyes are shiny but not glossy or abnormal.

Do the kids play and hold them? My nieces and nephew will see our chicks when we get them at the Easter Party. We had one chick get real lathargic but ended up ok a couple of hours later when the kids were gone. I would make sure they have bedding in there, food and water in the chick approved food and water holders, and the heating lamp is available and do not let anyone touch them .
That is weird they keep dying
I only allow the children to touch them in my presence, washing hands before and after touching. Otherwise they are allowed to view them during the day but no touching the brooder, screen or being loud around them. And no- the kids are not going behind my back to see the chicks, I have them in clear sight at all times, open floor plan.

What kind of heat lamp bulb are you using? Some have teflon coatings, this will kill chicks. Are you cooking dinner with anything nonstick, anywhere near where the chicks live? That would be my first guess.

Back
Top Bottom