poor injured chickie....any hope for this little one?

Funky Feathers

former Fattie
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
My Coop
My Coop
One of my Silkie hens sat on some eggs and hatched out a few chicks. I thought I had collected them all, and put them in the brooder. But then I went back to the Silkie pen and heard peeping and found this little chick literally stuck to the hen. I tried ever so gently to peel him off of her, I thought just his leg was glued to her, but it turns out there was more of him stuck to her. When I got him free, I saw that he had lost his skin on his leg & abdomen, I saw part of his liver in there. I immediately washed the wounds with warm Betadine & water, dried him & applied Neosporin. Then I wrapped him in gauze & Vetwrap. Do you think he will heal up & survive?

hurtchick6.jpg

hurtchik1.jpg

hurtchick5.jpg

hurtchick3.jpg

hurtchick2.jpg

ETA: they are not Silkie chicks, they are Cochins.

Last edited:
I think he could with the love and care and time you are giving him!!! <3 Dont give up!! I had a peachick that was attacked by a scrub jay, I never knew they were a threat or actually favored baby birds of all food sources....I heard him peeping behind the coop and saw the jay pinned on him....when I picked him up, I saw the hugest gash in his crop area....I could see inside and immediatley I began to break down in tears, but I applied neosporin and washed it and pinched the sides together....it had almost healed completely when a whole different freak accident (not his wound) killed my little peachick.... I think you can do it with the devotion you have given him <33 good job! I am really impressed and happy! and im sure the chick is too :]

Back
Top Bottom