Poor Turken - NN in trouble

BayCityBabe

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
My chick order - received a week ago - included one Turken. Today, the other chicks began to pick on her - literally. Finding her with a scabby neck & back of head, we isolated her and used 'blue cote'. The blue stuff actually makes her look like a bloody mess. After a few hours of isolation, I reintroduced her to her flock - mixed results, some picking. I put her in isolation again.
DH (always the optimist - not!) says they will eventually kill her. I would like to think that I can fix this situation. Any suggestions?
Please post your opinions based on your similar experience. I will appreciate this so much!

Make sure your heat lamp is red, not clear. It helps hide abnormalities. Isolate the turken by partitioning off the brooder with a piece of hardware cloth so she can see the others and talk to them, but they can't get to her. SHe will need her own feed and water dish. See how that goes and if there is one chick that can be a safe companion, put them together.

A concern that I have is whether isolating her will have to be a continuing thing. I cannot imagine being able to do so, once they are out of the brooder. I did see, in a post about coops, that a BYC member had a seperate area for a Turken. Are Turkens often picked on?

Probably not what you want to hear--but I had to permanently isolate my turken. They would have killed her by pecking her neck. Even now, they free range together, one will go over to her and start up again. Even my nice one.

On a brighter side, I have a NN frizzle in there and on even notices. I think once they start with a particular bird....

I agree with the red light. Try that first, she may be low man on the totem pole also so with the combination of the two things....

My NN got its won little pen....we called in the Nudist Colony.
House021.jpg

House023.jpg

I don't have that much of a problem with my turkens. My birds usually have gotten along both as chicks and adults.

This is Cordon Bleu my blue splash madagascar game. She gets along fine with everyone.
cordonbleu2.JPG

And this is Buffy my rose comb buff NN, she was bought and brought to the flock as a "teen" and no problems other than a few order of the peck fights when she got here.
Buffy1.JPG

Last edited:
This whole situation is REALLY UPSETTING me, because I have dealt with the bullying of my child. That said, I am trying to have some perspective here. They are chickens, fer crying out loud.
Just wanted to let everyone know: I do have a red light, have had it since the start. What I didn't pay attention to was the fact that the brooder was getting natural light from a small window. I just took care of that. Also, I put additional 'blue cote' on her first thing this a.m. (Note to novices: do not use the big sponge wand that comes in the bottle. It is too soppy. My chick shook her head & sprayed purple speckles EVERYWHERE). We have reintroduced her to the flock & are watching. She has been approached & sorta sniffed. I think the blue stuff is a bit of a deterent.

Back
Top Bottom