Poorly chicken - advice appreciated

Serenah

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 6, 2012
Hi,

I have a 3 yr old chicken who's poorly - here's what's going on:

She has a large crop that isn't emptying. It's easy to move around and she seems to feel better after a massage, (maybe because a little food is getting past?) Feels like it would if you squeezed a bag of thickish porridge.

She's lethargic, tail down, sleepy.

Still interested in food, but not eating much.

Bright eyes, clear nostrils, no wheezing, no sour breath.

Passed the most foul-smelling watery, pale diahorrea this morning (not surprised about diahorrea if she's not digesting food properly?) No blood.

I have tried to induce vomiting without success.

She's just started shaking her head.

I started treating with anti-biotics 2 days ago, gave her some rapeseed oil yesterday.

Any suggestions as to how I can help her? Thank you

Thanks for your reply, I only had rapeseed oil in the cupboard! Had read any vegetable oil was ok, but can try olive oil. How many times do you need to give the chicken oil/water?

Update: She's really gone downhill :-( I'm now having to tube-feed her as she's stopped eating and drinking, is losing lots of fluid via diahorrea, and is just sitting with her eyes shut all the time.

I think she has some kind of infection in her crop - there is no bad smell from there though so am assuming it's not a yeast issue? However, I'm going to follow the anti-yeast diet of egg, olive oil, yoghurt and cider apple vinegar anyway. Feeding her little and often (pretty much hourly, as that worked for one of my other girls after a fox attack). Plus antibiotics.

Fingers crossed.

Just now her crop was even more enormous - gave her water with ACV and she was sick for the first time. Unfortunately only brought up what I'd managed to get down her today. Decided to see if I could draw anything out of her using the tube/syringe. Got loads of air out and her crop went down in size a lot! So maybe it is a yeast thing if all that gas is being produced?

She has no energy at all, wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't pull through.

Back
Top Bottom