Poorly chicken

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jworrell, Oct 2, 2016.

1. jworrell

jworrell New Egg

Apr 6, 2014
    One of my two white rock hens has recently molted. Feathers are coming back in nicely but she is acting funny and her comb is drooping somewhat. I just got home to let them range before dark and she is in the coop and not coming out. Not sure what is going on?!

2. ChkenKeeper

ChkenKeeper Just Hatched

Aug 19, 2016
    Tracy, California
    Well a little more info is needed to answer your question. Molting puts a lot of stress on a chicken.
    Question: Is the chicken eating normally?
    Question: Ranging can be problematic for some chickens because you do not know what they ate?
    Question: How old is the Chicken.
    Question: Does the chicken seem to be normal in all other aspects, like scratching for food, actively moving with the other chickens.
    Any other info you can give us would definitely be nice to help you.
    TNX.

3. jworrell

jworrell New Egg

Apr 6, 2014
    I have had chicken about 2 1/2 years.i think she was close to a year when I got her. She stopped laying during the summer and then started molting. I only let them range for about an hour in the evenings but she could have gotten into something. She is not scratching like normal. Although she was out of coop this morning. I don't think she's eating normally. And as I only have the two chickens that I got together, they are usually never far apart. Other chicken seems to be fine. Any help is appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by