Poorly duckling - bent neck! Please help.

Hi again,

He seems still his normal self and his neck doesn't look as bad as yesterday.

I have managed to get out and get some Brewers yeast and some vitimin E oil.

Any advice on how much I shall give the ducks?

Teaspoon of Brewers yeast on the food.

I have a syringe to give the vitimin E oil with - just wondering how much you would recommend?

The only place I could quickly grab these from for today were a human health shop - so wasn't sure how much to give him.

Hi again,

He seems still his normal self and his neck doesn't look as bad as yesterday.

I have managed to get out and get some Brewers yeast and some vitimin E oil.

Any advice on how much I shall give the ducks?

Teaspoon of Brewers yeast on the food.

I have a syringe to give the vitimin E oil with - just wondering how much you would recommend?

The only place I could quickly grab these from for today were a human health shop - so wasn't sure how much to give him.

How many IU of E is the oil?
How many mg of Niacin are in the brewers yeast?

-Kathy

Be very careful if you give the oil orally because aspiration of oil can cause lipoid pneumonia.

-Kathy

Hi Kathy.

I've added some photos of information from the packets - if your able to advise that would be great. Do you think it's best to put the oil and Brewers years mixed into his grower pellets??
Or maybe put the oil into their water?

Just thought it may be best to get the vitimin E in him, I as worried about his neck getting worse.

It will also mean the other duck will get some too.

again please keep us updated i know it can be scary, i have a duck that was born blind in one eye and her crested grew on the side of her head covering her good eye and just when i thought she was doomed everything turned around she is a happy health part of the flock

again please keep us updated i know it can be scary, i have a duck that was born blind in one eye and her crested grew on the side of her head covering her good eye and just when i thought she was doomed everything turned around she is a happy health part of the flock

Will do - just fed them their first bit of Brewers yeast, they quite like it (just not when I decided to wet it slightly
263a.png
). We mixed about 4-5 drops of the vit E oil into their water. And fed Wilbur (poorly duck) on his own for a bit.

I know this is not going to mend over night - just want them to be ok.

So glad that your chick is happy and healthy, gives me lots of hope. Thank you for your support.

Will up date soon.

Unfortunately not, his neck has gone over a bit more
1f622.png
1f622.png
I have researched so much and a lot does say you need to be patient to see him back to normal.

I'm just worrying that the oil not being enough for him.
I'm thinking of getting Nutir drench and hope that may help. A lot of people have said they have got vitimin E capsules and syringed it in the their mouth a little bit at a time and selenium tablets and crushed them and gave them in their food.

I just want to do the best thing for him.

I must be patient.

Unfortunately not, his neck has gone over a bit more
1f622.png
1f622.png
I have researched so much and a lot does say you need to be patient to see him back to normal.

I'm just worrying that the oil not being enough for him.
I'm thinking of getting Nutir drench and hope that may help. A lot of people have said they have got vitimin E capsules and syringed it in the their mouth a little bit at a time and selenium tablets and crushed them and gave them in their food.

I just want to do the best thing for him.

I must be patient.

How is your math? There is a website that gives instructions for medicating a five pound bird, but your duckling doesn't weigh five pounds, so you would have to weigh him and calculate the dose. One must be careful when giving medications E and selenium, because E is fat soluble (google what that means), and selenium is can be toxic.

The brewers yeast you have has 60 mg niacin per 100 grams? How many tablespoons of powder are in the bottle of yeast? How many ounces is that bottle?

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom