Poorly Pekin Chick

Rachy

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
UK
Hi, I hoping someone can help as I've run out of ideas.
sad.png

I have two 3 week old Pekin chicks and this morning they were both fine. About lunchtime I noticed ones, Brick, breathing was laboured and she her beak was open. I put my had in and she didn't come running over and when I offered her a mealworm she just held it in her mouth like she knew she couldn't swallow it. She also sounded different, like a whistle had got stuck in her throat kind of sound.

So I had a quick look in her mouth as my first thought was that something was stuck but couldn't see anything. I took her straight to my vet who also couldn't see anything but explained because she was so small it would be hard to see and didn't recommend knocking her out to have a look as it was too risky, so she gave her an antibiotic injection as she thought it could possibly be an infection as around her beak was a bit wet and she could see a bit of 'stuff' in her mouth, maybe uneaten food, I'm not sure as she didn't say.
I took her home and she did appear to pick up, running up to me with Betty and eating mealworms, slower than normal but getting them down. They are separated now, as the vet recommended incase it's catching, which doesn't make either of them happy
sad.png

So to now, sometimes she seems ok, apart from the fact she's eating hardly anything, still pooing but not as much and she changes between laboured breathing and being ok. She looks bright and preens and wanders about, lies down and has a sleep like normal but she's just not 'right', if you know what I mean.

I don't think its sour crop, there's no smell and her crop is empty, which is not normal as she's usually a greedy guts and always has a full crop.

So I'm now at a loss what to do next, any suggestions would very much appreciated x

Hi, she does have a lamp on her but she has a large brooder and I would hope she could get away to a much cooler part if she had needed too but thanks for the suggestion, it is much appreciated as a new chick mommy
smile.png

She seems (fingers crossed) better today, I am assuming the vets course of action was correct as she is very nearly back to her old self. I will obviously keep an extra eye on her but so far, so good!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom