Pop bottle founts vs rabbit waterers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Oct 3, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I've been using the standard waterers with the quail base for my various quail but the water just gets too dirty too often. I've been looking at the pop bottle founts that hang on the outsides of their cages but before I order, I have a few questions:

Some say for plastic soda bottles; others say for "old fashioned" glass bottles. Will a beer bottle work because I haven't seen glass soda bottles in forever.

Has anyone had luck with the rabbit waterers (the ones with the little balls in the end of the metal tube)? I've searched some posts and some members said they were going to try them but I didn't see any posts that said it worked.

Does anyone know of a way to make them yourself? I need quite a few so if I can make them, I'd much prefer to do so.

Thanks for any help!

2. pmitch10

pmitch10 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    NH
    May I ask where you buy the pop water founts? I saw a lot of them at a local chicken farm used......a lot of them. I should have asked.

3. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    what the heck is a pop-bottle fount??? Anyone got pics?

4. ejones1961

ejones1961 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    West TN
  5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
  6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
  7. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    oh, cool... i get it. 2-liter bottles! how does it work with chickens?

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Quote:These were actually the ones I was going to order but they said glass bottles. Can't beat the price so I'll give it a try. I have one small tube waterer in one cage and it works great but it is small - like a test tube and has to be filled twice a day. Am hoping these bigger ones work better. Thanks all!

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I ordered the pop bottle founts from Meyer Hatchery. They work with the plastic bottle as well. I think they were in the $3 range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by