Pop Door question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joedie, Apr 22, 2009.

1. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Has anyone used one of those pet access doors as a pop door? I need to put mine in the front door of the coop and it's one of those steel clad doors. It would be a lot easier if I could just put a large animal door in it with the locking feature.

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Quote:Sure, that's been done before.. Just have to leave out the "flap" so that it's easy for the hens to get in and out. Then just close it up with the locking slip door they provide.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We took one out of the house and used it in the hen house. It isn't lockable.

We kept the flap. It help block a great deal of wind during storms, especially in winter when the pop door is closed. Our hen house is part of our barn, so we don't use the pop door in winter at all. We brace a large window (non-opening style) in front of the pop door all winter.

To provide some sunlight and when the pop door is open for the flock to use, we just pull the flap up and put the door in the top slots to keep the flap open. We have not had any problems with any of our birds fitting through the opening.

Here is an old thread and picture where I discussed ours. The hens are almost 3 years old now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1747

4. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Thanks much. I'll go to Lowe's tonight![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by